Frenchie Fridays

Discussion in 'Community' started by etoiles, Nov 14, 2003.

1. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

as mentioned in this thread, I'd like to officially kick off the Frenchie Fridays !

This is for people who like complicated languages, smelly cheese and good wine among other esoteric things (nothing like a good stereotype). Put on your beret and share your most exquisite French lines...or ask what you always wanted to know but were afraid to ask about that wonderfully strange culture.

I am still at work, so I'll just say:

" la vie est dure, sans confiture"

(how is that for a conversation starter)

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm going to try frog's legs soon.

My favorite clause in any language has to be je ne sais quoi.

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i just had some pretty decent french wine with dinner. chateau larose-trintaudon. give it a shot. cheap, good.

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

J'ai un écureuil dansant en bas de mon pantalon. ;)

5. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

You can't beat French toast with French-Canadian maple syrup ;)

6. meta-ghost macrumors regular

ok, riddle me this.
    why, when buying groceries in ANY paris food mart, does the clerk ignore the customer during the "bagging of the food" ritual. let's see, last time i had a two year old in my arms, trying to get the correct money out of my pockets, a line the length of the seine river behind me and the clerk sits and checks her nails why i fumble with a weeks worth of food and all of the above.....

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Ah, la langue de l'amour.

I miss my French classes...it's been over 2 years since I used the language with any regularity and the Spanish I learned afterwards has crowded some of it out. So much for my BA! :eek: ;)

8. etoiles thread starter macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I think that is a European thing. When I first came to the US I was pleasantly surprised at how helpful and nice people working the checkout counters are. They say "Hi", ask you how you are doing and if you found everything ok, and then wrap stuff up for you. And you don't even have to tip them. Of course, the clerks don't really care how you are doing and it is all just store policy, but it makes for a nice shopping experience.
    Also, you will find that people standing in line are much less 'civilized' in Europe than in the US. For example in the post office, there will be a line for each counter instead of the first person of a single line going to the first available counter. It started to change in the last few years with more and more places adopting the 'single line' or 'pick a number' model, so there is hope...different cultures can still learn from each other.

9. etoiles thread starter macrumors 6502a

etoiles

Anybody here listening to French music ?

There is the great classics of course: Serge Gainsbourg, Jacques Brel, Georges Brassens... they all have absolutely brillant lyrics, too.

Then there is this new generation of French folk/rock/pop: Mickey3D, Dionysos, Thomas Fersen, Miossec, Tarmac...

I also listen to a lot of French rap: IAM and the solo albums of their lead guy 'Akhenaton', Sens Unik (Swiss rap, I know, sounds like a cheese dish :D ), MC Solaar, DJ CutKiller...

A great way to learn French. You can even practice under the shower....la lala..lalalalalaaaaa...your neighbourghs will love it, too, and they will be able to follow your progress. :p

10. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Francis Cabrel, Jean-Jacques Goldman...oh yeah. :)

11. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

For learning French, nothing beats the music of France Gall, IMHO. Her lyrics are simple (compared with the tricky wordplay of Gainsbourg) and her diction is very clear.

For more advanced students, I would go with Charles Aznavour. Clear diction, but much more dense, lyrically.

As for French Rap, I always thought IAM's song "Chez le Mac" would be a perfect theme song for MacRumors. :D

12. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Not at the moment, but Claude Debussy is in my playlist and Gabriel Fauré is good stuff too.

I should eat French toast every Friday.

13. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Plus le change, plus c'est le meme chose.

Which means the French are in for a real kicking in the rugby World cup tomorrow.:D

I spend at least 3 weeks a year in France, I do love the country and the people, apart from the Parisiens, who are a bunch of arrogant bastards...;)

Sadly though, I don't drink alcohol and I can't stand runny cheese, plus my favourite meal is Pie and Chips, so I'm a real outsider in the French culture.

14. medea macrumors 68030

medea

You should check out Francoiz Breut http://www.bellaunion.com/fb.htm

15. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

It depends whether you call the UK European (some brits think we're somewhere in the mid-Atlantic). We're great at queueing (standing in line). Did we invent it? We've got those 'Go to counter 3' things as well...it just requires the guy at the front of the queue/line to be awake.

Maintenant, Retournons-nous a la Français? Mais ce n'est pas vendredi aujord-hui. C'est samedi n'est pas?

16. etoiles thread starter macrumors 6502a

etoiles

you are absolutely ritght, I was referring to those barbarians living on the continent...:D
    England was actually the first place I saw people stand in line at a bus stop. Where I come from it is still 'survival of the fittest' when it comes to getting a seat.

17. etoiles thread starter macrumors 6502a

etoiles

wow, thanks ! I heard the 'Ma Colère' before, great song. I am going to check out her other songs. Maybe we will get these artists on iTMS once the European store launches.

Any good French speaking radio stations on the net ? I listen a lot to www.couleur3.com

18. Macco macrumors regular

Re: Frenchie Fridays

Frenchie? You mean that large black woman from American Idol??

19. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Yeah, it always "shocks" me when I fly in to a US airport (not literally!) and see the people lining up patiently and nice and tidy to get through customs. In France it would be a real mess, with people "overtaking", trying to nudge in from the sides, complaining about the wait :p
    Though I like the civilized side of US lines, I hope to God that France will keep its messy queues. France just wouldn't be like France without messy queues, rude drivers, good wine and runny cheeses.

BTW WinterMute,
    There are *lots* of good cheeses that aren't runny. You should try some.

20. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I absolutely hated France when I visited, largely due to the rude and condescending attitude I received from almost everyone I happened to talk to. I only knew a tiny bit of French that I remembered from elementary school but I was understood well enough to order food at restaurants in Belgium and Luxumburg. People in France just ignored me or sneered at me whenever I tried to communicate regardless of whether I spoke in English or very poor French. I talked to a few people that seemed to think I was a barbarian since I didn't speak fluent French. They weren't impressed when I told them that I speak several other languages.

This is not to say that this problem is unique to France, I just happened to be subjected to it quite often while I was there. I have unfortunately noticed similar intolerant attitudes towards foreign visitors to the U.S. when they speak American English very poorly or not at all.

21. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Where abouts in France did you go, and more importantly, what kind of places did you go to? The kind of welcome you get really depends on where you go. Stay with the touristy stuff, and you'll get treated like dirt. Go to more "off-beaten tracks" place, and they are usually very nice and helpful. It's the same in every country I guess... Please don't hate France after one visit; there's more to France than just the French people.

Though this doesn't seem to be the problem with your visit (you apparently made an effort to speak some French) it really pisses me off when tourists come to France and start straight out speaking English. Not even a 'bonjour'. When this happens I just don't speak English to them (though it's my native language). Why should speak English if they can't even make the effort of saying one single word in French?

22. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I visited Metz and some nearby towns by car. I decided against visiting Paris because I expected that finding a vacant hotel room would have been very difficult at the time without a reservation. France had just won the World Cup and everyone was going a bit crazy. I was baffled by how people could be in such a good mood yet still be sour towards visitors.

23. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I spent 6 months in France and overall, in the city I'd get looked at, hounded, followed as if I were some shoplifter in the stores, and it just isn't fun, but when I went back to my little village it was really nice. The people were friendly, the atmosphere was really laid back and soothing, and it was just a great place to be. It's just one of those things. Even in my own country I expect to be treated that way if I were to go somewhere like New York or another big metropolis, I just think it's a city thing.

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I ate frog legs today, and I'm glad I tried them. Not bad, I must say.