Frequent Kernel Crashes

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Applespider, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I bought a 15" 1.25G Powerbook with Superdrive earlier this month. It has 10.3 installed and I've run all the software updates save the Quicktime and Airport Extreme. I have a USB ADSL modem plugged in, occasionally a scroll mouse and an iPod. There's no shareware/freeware on it. I have Office, Photoshop Elements, Dreamweaver and Sim City 4 on it in addition to the standard Apple apps.

The first time I booted it, it stopped mid way on the blue-screen and didn't bring up the 'welcome to mac' piece at all. The second time, all went well and I've been happily playing ever since.

But I'm getting kernel panics every other day. There's nothing specific that seems to cause them. Sometimes it's when I quit Safari, sometimes it's when I remove a USB or Firewire cable, sometimes it's just when it wakes up from sleep.

I've tried doing a clean install but the problem continues. Has anyone else had this problem - I'm a switcher and one of the attractions of the Mac was less crashes! Or do you think it's a lemon and I should return it to the store I bought it from (who give a 2 year guarantee so 3 weeks should be OK!?!?)

Thanks

2. Pseudonym macrumors regular

Seeing as it is only 3 weeks old I would be inclined to return it and get a replacement. Sounds like you got it from John Lewis so it shouldn't be a problem. Before doing that it would also be worth giving AppleCare a bell. They are, in my experience, extremely helpful.

The only other thing I can think of is the USB modem. They have a bit of a reputation for being pigs. Perhaps it would be worth checking the manufacturer's website to see if there are any patches.

3. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

BTO with extra ram? if so then it sounds like a dodgy ram module, exact same symptoms as my mac when my memory was bad.

4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I agree with the above.
    Ram is the first possible culprit. Remove it and try.
    Peripherals are second. Remove them all and try, especially that modem.
    I had panics and it turned out to be a 3rd party mouse. I tossed it and since then have not had any panics at all. For internet I use a D-Link wireless router that hooks via ethernet. Much cleaner and not prone to USB-related problems.

Good luck.

5. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    No extra RAM - just what came with the Powerbook - 512MB

Did try removing the USB modem and connecting via the dial-up but had a panic then too.

Have spoken to John Lewis, they are happy to replace so will probably do that for peace of mind.

Dom

6. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Wonderful! Such great service for an obvious lemon. It happens.
    My 15" has been flawless...EXCEPT for the white spots on the screen! It will be going back in few weeks.

7. PalmHarborTchr macrumors member

Problems taken care of

Do yourself a favor and buy a copy
    of DISKWARRIOR . I did and spending
    all kinds of time doing what you did
    are over. Its a great solution for
    OSX issues. Its too bad that Apple
    does put it in the box with every
    new computer.