frequent kernel panic

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cmccarten, Nov 6, 2006.

1. cmccarten macrumors member

hi - over the past few days, my 17" iMac core 2 duo has had some kernel panic issues. it has crashed twice while using garageband.
    when i booted up the computer this morning, i got the kernel panic screen the instant that the GUI loaded. i rebooted, and the same thing happened. rebooting once more solved the problem, but now i'm kind of nervous about the status of my system.
    should i just reinstall the os?
    my 90 day applecare is up soon (in a suspiciously ironic twist of fate, i received an email from apple today reminding me about it): should i try to get them to resolve this problem before more bad things happen? (ie, send it away)
    how serious is this? people always rave about the stability of OS X, but it has crashed more times now in 2 1/2 months than my windows laptop did all last year.

2. interpolic macrumors newbie

Your computer should not be kernel panicing, so yes you should sort it out asap.

The usual culprit is bad ram, did you add any aftermarket ram? I would first take that out if you did and see if it kernel panics. If it is stock standard, i'd be calling apple about getting this one sent off.

Hope it goes well

3. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

interpolic answered your question but I was wondering, how can your 90 days possibly be up soon. The C2D MacBooks just came out.

4. cmccarten thread starter macrumors member

...actually, you are right. it isn't up soon. the only reason i thought so was because i received their email today: i guess they are jumping the gun.

i haven't added any aftermarket ram either...

5. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

i would call them and ask them to fix it. It would be just like a warranty on a car. Just as soon it has expired. Boom, you are in trouble. Get it checked out before the warranty is expired. You won't be sorry.

Yeah I read that you took it down and had them look at it, but be forceful. Have someone else at apple look at it. that other person may not really have known what he was looking for.

That has happened to me before.

Gl

6. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

The C2D Macbooks aren't even out yet. He said he had a C2D iMac.

7. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

oops that was something else i was reading earlier. Go ahead and call them and have someone look at it before the warranty expires.

8. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Oh wow, I could have sworn he said it was a 17" MacBook Pro. I know the MacBooks aren't out, I just dropped the Pro because it's rather obvious because there are no 17" MacBooks.

9. cmccarten thread starter macrumors member

well, i spoke to applecare, and i'm not sure they're all that much help. we went through the run of the mill disk verify, disk permissions, system reset stuff (the exact things they've done when i've called them about any issue). i've got the case number to reference if it happens again, and over a month left of applecare, so i'll be careful to watch and see what happens.
    thanks for the responses though.