Frequent Wireless Dropouts

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by XIII, Dec 11, 2005.

1. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Hey all.

I own a Linksys Wireless G Router, with ADSL modem built in. Recently (last month or so) I have been experiencing a lot of wireless problems.

Scenario 1: I have full signal, but suddenly nothing gets through. All IM programs report no net connection, browser doesn't work, Mail says there is a connection problem. I turn the router off and then on again, and go back upstairs, it starts working again.

Scenario 2: I am working fine, full signal, and then suddenly I lose all signal, and nothing web related works. I turn the router off and on again, and it reconnects, everything is fine.

Scenario 3: I am working, full signal, when signal changes to 3. All net activity stops. Signal then moves to 1. Then nothing. Then full, then 3, then 1, then nothing. It does this for a minute or two, and then sticks on full reception, and my connection comes back.

In all these scenarios, the routers lights indicate everything is fine.

I am connected with BT, Broadband.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any help

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I had the same symptoms a few months back and worked out it was an ISP problem. They'd give me a bad IP so I'd have to reset it which means turning off the DSL modem and my AirPort Express for about thirty seconds. This may be very different for different ISPs so maybe talk to them about it. :)

Does resetting the router/modem always help? Do you run any P2P-style apps? :)

3. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

Yes. And yes. :) Is this what your situation was?

Thanks

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, mine was purely an ISP issue. I don't use P2P apps or even have them installed but I've seen very similar symptoms on networks with P2P running.

I suppose it might be worthwhile trying a different P2P app or maybe changing the port the current app(s) runs on. :)

5. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

Thanks for your help. My network has been fine once I quit LimeWire. Hmm. Bloody LW. Thanks.

6. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Im having this problem now!

although i dont run LW i do run azuerus (thanks ;) )... its really driving me mad

7. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

8. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

Just to state the obvious culprits...

I've got the same wireless setup (Linksys router), though not the LW.

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you noticed whether some of the dropouts happen when someone's using a cordless phone or running the microwave? Both situations can reduce or kill my signal altogether.

9. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

actually, for me - its just the browser.... so i just fixed and repaired permissions see if that fixes it..

hmmm.......

10. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

Like I said, for me, it has been fine since shutting down Limewire. Only one incident of 3.

11. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

good to know.... I couldn't even get Limewire to access my net. I shall try some other p2p apps.