Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saint322

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2013
OKC, OK
Okay, Screen Sharing Confirms it is up and running. I have also tried a small TV via HDMI and nothing. I'll need some hand-holding from this point forward. The NVIDA Web Drivers are running, everything is current for my OS, it seems disconcerting it isn't returning something more substantial on the System Overview Screen but I am at a loss as to what my next step should be...go team mac gurus!!!

Also, I purchased this card new from NewEgg and can return it (if I do so in a timely fashion) but if I can make it play nice I would like to keep it. I would call their tech-support but fully expect to get rebuffed when I tell them I stuck it in an unsupported mac tower.

Thanks!

-Saint

Photo Aug 28, 8 27 52 PM.jpg
Photo Aug 28, 8 28 07 PM.jpg Photo Aug 28, 8 45 57 PM.jpg

Last edited:

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
It appears MacVidCards was correct about some GTX750s not working properly. Based on the screenshots you posted, you've done everything correctly and it should be working.

At this point, it's probably best to return the video card and try to find another model known to be working. I agree, I wouldn't bother trying to contact tech support.

Looks like we may have to keep track of which GTX750s work and which don't...

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
It appears MacVidCards was correct about some GTX750s not working properly.

It appears he's correct? Come one now, he is the one authority on all things Video Card for the Macintosh on this forum that I would believe. You should have written - "I'm sure MVC was correct! No doubt about it in my mind.

Lou

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
It appears he's correct? Come one now, he is the one authority on all things Video Card for the Macintosh on this forum that I would believe. You should have written - "I'm sure MVC was correct! No doubt about it in my mind.

Lou

Woke up on the wrong side of the bed? Where did this come from? I apologize for not worshipping the same god as you do.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
740 is Kepler, a rebranded 640. Should be fine and won't require web driver.

I can confirm that a GT 740 works with out web drivers when I had a desktop hackintosh I was running one for a while (set to auto int no graphics injection or stuff like that) and it works fine on stock drivers it just says Nvidia chip model instead of GT 740 (with the web drivers it says its proper name) hell I was surprised to see this card ran fine on 10.7.5 Lion with stock drivers heh

garyglitta

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2015
Cape Town, South Africa
Hi all,

Wow but this is a long thread. My experience so far with a Mac Pro 1,1 and a ASUS GTX750Ti-PH-2GD5, running Yosemite 10.10.5:

I simply could not get this card to work in my Mac. I started by installing the latest web drivers which automatically added 'nvda_drv=1' to my boot-args. Depending on which slot I installed it in, the card would either not be recognised at all or would be recognised correctly as a 750Ti 2GB, but no display output would be shown / no screens detected on any ports. I later found out that this was down to the PCIe speed for the slot it was installed in. So it would be recognised in 1x or 4x mode, but not in 8x or 16x. I found this out by changing the speeds for each slot using the Expansion Slot Tool that comes with OSX.

I did a bit more research and found that nobody else had had much luck with this particular ASUS card and indeed some other manufacturers' cards. I tried flashing other video BIOSes with mixed results but nothing that worked in a stable manner. I then tried the Gigabyte BIOS. I didn't realise, but the card that this BIOS came from has the 6-pin power cable, which of course the ASUS card does not. The VBIOS prevented the computer from booting and displayed a message that said to plug in the PCIe power cable (This was shown when installed in my PC, of course the Mac would just show a blank screen), which of course wasn't possible, rendering the card effectively bricked. The only way I got around this was to lift the CS pin of the flash IC on the back of the card to let the PC boot (using the internal gfx chip) and then connect it back after booting windows to run nvflash and restore the original VBIOS. Hair-raising! But I digress...

Anyway, I then took the one ASUS BIOS that some people had had some luck with, ie the ASUS 750Ti Strix BIOS. This worked OK, but would cause my PC to crash after a few minutes. I figured it was because of the much higher clock rate that the Strix card uses, so I used the Kepler Bios Tweaker app to change the clocks to match the original BIOS's clock rates and reflashed. This was stable in Windows!! So I plugged it into my Mac as a second card next to my (working) Radeon 5450 with high hopes...

..and the Mac booted up! Using two displays, one connected to the Radeon and one to the GTX750Ti, in a slot set at 4X speed. However, it would crash at the login screen. Balls. Again, it would only be recognised (now detected as a 'Nvidia Chip' or something like that, ie not correctly identified as a GTX750Ti 2GB anymore) if in a slot at 1x or 4x, the Mac would completely ignore it at 8x or 16x.

So, I'm now wondering if there is a power issue here. I know that the 1,1 Mac Pro has PCIe 1.1 and cannot support as much power through the PCIe slot itself as PCIe 2.0 (as in my PC, where the card works flawlessly). Of course, the GTX750Ti is bus-powered and I have a feeling that it is not getting enough juice from the PCIe slot on my Mac Pro motherboard. I feel the slot speed and the power issue are related, but of course I could be wrong.

I've now given up trying to get it to work in my Mac. I am going to sell it and buy another card, I was thinking about an EVGA 750Ti FTW card, as this has an external power connector so should (in theory) draw less power from the m/b. The other option is the Gigabyte OC 750Ti, which also has the external power connector but does not have DisplayPort, which I would like to use to drive a 4K monitor in future. Both of these cards are confirmed working under Yosemite in Hackintoshes, but I can find very little information about whether they will work in a 1,1 Mac Pro. I am operating on a hunch at this stage.

I would welcome any comments on my findings, as well as any recommendations about which card to try next. Thanks for listening...

saint322

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2013
OKC, OK
Hi all,

I've now given up trying to get it to work in my Mac. I am going to sell it and buy another card, I was thinking about an EVGA 750Ti FTW card, as this has an external power connector so should (in theory) draw less power from the m/b. The other option is the Gigabyte OC 750Ti, which also has the external power connector but does not have DisplayPort, which I would like to use to drive a 4K monitor in future. Both of these cards are confirmed working under Yosemite in Hackintoshes, but I can find very little information about whether they will work in a 1,1 Mac Pro. I am operating on a hunch at this stage.

I would welcome any comments on my findings, as well as any recommendations about which card to try next. Thanks for listening...

Gary,

If you scroll back a few posts, you will see the card you are considering purchasing (EVGA 750Ti FTW) does not work in my MacPro 2,1. I intend to return it to NewEgg which is a shame because I was able to catch it on sale and with a rebate for only $99. For now, it seems I am stuck with a EVGA GTX 560 1 GB unless I find another higher-performing card at a reasonable rate.

-Saint

Reactions: garyglitta

garyglitta

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2015
Cape Town, South Africa
Hey Saint,

Man that sucks, I feel for you but I'm very glad to have your feedback. Do you have any hunches as to why it might not be working? Perhaps it is the power issue I described, although I would have thought that connecting it up to external power would have negated this. Have you tried one of those twin-molex to 6-way adaptors?

Do you know what version of video BIOS is running on your card and have you tried any other BIOSes?

Have you tried reconfiguring your PCIe slot speed to see if this makes any difference? I am not sure if this utility applies to the 2,1 as well, but just trying to tick the boxes, so to speak.

Pitagora

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
hi,

today i opened and cleaned my mac pro and i pull out the ghtx 670 from it, after the job was done i put back the video card but guess what? the mac booted, but no login screen, just blank. put in other slot gt 120 works fine, reinstall nvidia drivers ok, restart the pc no login screen on gtx 670.. this drives me nuts.what can i do? i am sure the card fits in its position properly and has power, but i cant get it work.

i have latest drivers and latest system 10.10.5

please help!!

Pitagora

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
of course. this happened me in the past but after 2-3 punches in the keyboard it worked and i got image. i think is a key combination i have to press? dont know??

Pitagora

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
Don't worry man. I am desperate in making this out... Any suggestions are welcome! For now, I started to delete cache and repair disk permissions. I uninstall driver and reinstall using the appcleaner, but no succes. I do t know what is wrong..

flyslinger

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
Help / Opinions wanted : no Cuda for 980 ti (In Premiere Pro no Mercury Playback)

I searched the forums/google and couldn't find an answer so will try asking

Not sure why but the card (980 ti) boots and runs fine, quieter than the MVC flashed GTX 570 I'm replacing.

It is a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1
Yosemite 10.10.4 with the right driver (barefeats new driver comparison)and newest cuda tried older cuda driver too
tried a second bootable SSD updated with Yosemite 10.10.5 and the corresponding Driver 346.02.03f01 still in Premiere Pro no cuda detected (Mercury playback)

This could be due to I need to move, for some reason, the card from Pci 1 to Pci 2 as that is where I had the GTX 570 just couldn't remember if that was the reason I had the 570 there. I will try this after dinner

Any opinions would be appreciated.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Help / Opinions wanted : no Cuda for 980 ti (In Premiere Pro no Mercury Playback)

I searched the forums/google and couldn't find an answer so will try asking

Not sure why but the card (980 ti) boots and runs fine, quieter than the MVC flashed GTX 570 I'm replacing.

It is a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1
Yosemite 10.10.4 with the right driver (barefeats new driver comparison)and newest cuda tried older cuda driver too
tried a second bootable SSD updated with Yosemite 10.10.5 and the corresponding Driver 346.02.03f01 still in Premiere Pro no cuda detected (Mercury playback)

This could be due to I need to move, for some reason, the card from Pci 1 to Pci 2 as that is where I had the GTX 570 just couldn't remember if that was the reason I had the 570 there. I will try this after dinner

Any opinions would be appreciated.
You are using additional PSU with that card?

flyslinger

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
Problem Solved

Thank you pastrychef that was my problem. Big Smile. Couldn't remember if I had to do that with the 570.

toke lahti :I am not but am using an extra drive power cable (2 in a 2008 Mac Pro) to 6 pin with the 2 6 pins to 8 pin

evga website says 250watts for this card, I hope/think I will be alright.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
I am not but am using an extra drive power cable (2 in a 2008 Mac Pro) to 6 pin with the 2 6 pins to 8 pin
evga website says 250watts for this card, I hope/think I will be alright.
I think "all right" depends...
MP's own PSU gives about a kilowatt.
75W from pci, 2 x 75 W from motherboard and maybe 75W from ODD molex. That's 300W and is enough for GPU, but if you have MP full of hdd's, odd's, pci slots full and lots of external stuff connected, you might run out of juice from internal PSU.
But thinking this over, I just realized that 225W limit is easy to pass. I used to have x1900 powered from ODD molex (since those cables were easier to get), but routing the cables were PITA when I wanted to keep MP's door closed. (Have now had it open for years, since my MP is in it's own "less dusty" (filtered fan intakes) cabin.) So, if I ever get my hands on a mp5,1, I'll definetely will try to use it with some top-of-the-line last gen super-power-hungry gpu powered by just the internal psu...

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
I just wanted to post this here, but I was unable to get my PNY GTX 750 to work in my Mac Pro 1,1/2,1 with Yosemite 10.10.5. I have worked with many people in this forum, and despite our best efforts, my particular card which I will link below, was unable to work.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-gef...card/6955159.p?id=1219243020309&skuId=6955159

I know some have been able to get their GTX 750 to work fine, which really bums me, but this particular model does not give any video out.

If, by chance, someone has this exact card, and it is working for you, let me know what you did, but for now this is a fair warning to others, this particular one does not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.