'Fresh cracks' at Paris airport

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, May 24, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Only a day after part of it collapsed, now it sounds like the rest of the building is going to follow... :eek:

I'm thinking it it continues to crack, it'll be demolished and rebuilt, as worker and passenger confidence in the building, simply won't be there.

Something has obviously gone seriously wrong somewhere, it's only 11 months old, and the architect that designed it, said it wasn't revolutionary. Strange.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3743081.stm

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Word is that the construction was made in a hurry. That’s probably why there has been made some mistakes.

I wonder if someone has bad dreams at the moment...

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    oh my!!! i wonder how long it will take to replace the terminal

4. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Uhm... if I go to Paris in the near future, I'll take the train, thanks :eek: .

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I will be flying into that airport in about a week and a half. Should be interesting :eek:

6. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

don't forget your hard hat. :eek: :p :p

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

This reminds me of the time Husky Stadium collapsed. I was living just a few blocks away when it happened. Fortunately no one was hurt, and they managed to rebuild the stadium and open in time for the next season. I would have been nervous to be in attendance at the first game!

8. Dros macrumors 6502

Speaking of rushed building... I hope the Olympic facilities all work without problems after being rushed with building 24/7 these last months.

9. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

In construction terms, does it come down to -

incompetence or corruption

or thirdly, is it an external industry called the "legal system"

With the usual penalty deadline contracts, I'm not sure if there is much difference for a company who gets fined a lot of money for not finishing a building on time or gets fined a lot of money for killing people with a building built poorly in order to hit a deadline.

My guess would be that a fine for an "industrial accident"(?) would have less sting than some private completion contracts. :(

10. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Are we so smart?

Radical designs such as this terminal, giant roller coasters and humongous, light-weight bridges put a whole lot of faith in computers assisting the design process. So often these days, we are pushing the limits of engineering, teasing the edges of stability and strength by attempting to create the most elegant and lightweight design that is apparently possible. This becomes a problem when there is a weak link. Without overbuilding and redundancies, simple deviations from the materials, techniques and assemblies can result in catastrophic failure. All it takes is a single supplier to provide inferior material to save some money, a single contractor rushing a critical element... we're not allowing much room for error in these cutting edge designs.

Beautiful terminal by the way...

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

If it was rushed and corners were cut, I'm sure there will be a lot of finger pointing....I wonder who will get to 'take the blame' for this one.

Sad, though, but a good thing it wasn't crowded when it happened...

D

12. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Considering it is France, I would say the government for not ensuring that the union workers didn't have 3 day work weeks :)

13. zorglub macrumors member

AH AH AH

14. ecche macrumors regular

Excuse me, is this French for <lol> or were you just having an orgasm?