Fresh Disney-Pixar Rumor

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by HiRez, Jan 19, 2006.

1. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Hmm, just heard on the radio that Disney is in "high-level talks" to purchase Pixar. Yikes. At this point, just a rumor, but it was heard on mainstream network radio news, they don't report most of the whacko rumors so I dunno, might be something to this one. An interesting twist is that it would make Steve Jobs Disney's largest shareholder.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

So...
    Disney finally figured out that they can't make movies as good as Pixar. So instead of working together like they used to, Disney just wants to buy Pixar.

I don't think Jobs will go for it.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Can you image how rapidly pixars quality would deteriorate if the suits at disney got ahold of them. Pixar isn't doing anything Disney can't do, they are doing what they won't do: make a funny, smart movie that doesn't rely on the exact same formula every single time. Pixar lets quaility people do quaility work, disney does the exact opposite. I'm sure it would be fine for a while, bit eventually the disney people would start making them do movies in a different way, and it all falls apart all over again. Disney already has a 3d studio, they just make crappy movies.

5. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

In a way Disney would be taking the MS approach: if you can't beat 'em, buy 'em.

6. HiRez thread starter macrumors 603

HiRez

It would definitely be great for Disney (at least in the short-term) but I agree with Strider, I think it would ruin Pixar eventually. Now Steve Jobs as CEO of Disney, hmm, that would be interesting. I can't imagine Teh Steve would let this deal happen without securing himself some serious power.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Corporate boards can kick CEOs out again just as easily, as Steve has already found out once before. So unless he really is majority shareholder, that's not a position he probably wants to be in...especially at Disney, where leadership chaos has reigned ever since...well, pretty much since Walt passed away.