Fresh install after GM?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Nolander07, Aug 24, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

When the final iOS 7 is released to the public, does one have to do a fresh install if already using the GM, or just update the iOS via wifi or iTunes?
    Thanks.

2. macrumors 603

The GM is the same as the final. You don't have to do anything.

3. macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

If you are going from Beta to GM, you have to do a fresh install. Assuming it will be like last year when iOS 6 GM'd. But no, the GM is the final build for the public.

4. macrumors 6502

You don't have to, but it's recommended and I will, simply because sometimes installing the GM over the beta can leave some bugs behind and create others.

Plus, a GM is a great chance to start afresh. A clean install leaves your phone feeling brand new and fresh.

5. macrumors member

So we won't need to update from GM to the final update when released?

6. macrumors 65816

ionjohn

The GM is basically the release version, same build number. But there's a chance that it might be a different version so we can't say for sho

----------

It wasn't for iOS 4 and iOS 3

7. macrumors member

So will we get a update on GM to update to the final? How has it worked for previous iOS releases?

8. g35
    macrumors 6502

Is the GM only for developers or can anyone download it and shift-click restore in iTunes and choose the GM ipsw?

9. macrumors 65816

ionjohn

No, you'll have to restore. Can't go from beta to GM or release version. Can't go from GM to release version (if the release is a different build)

----------

Anyone can download it, you only need to find a place where to download it.

10. macrumors member

I suppose I'll just update to GM once it's released then restore to iOS6 and update to iOS7 once it's released to public.

11. macrumors 603

Tyler23

The GM is the same thing as the public release. Once you update to the GM you don't need to update again

12. macrumors 603

Not all the time, but most of the time.

13. WhackyNinja, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013

macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Anyone can download the GM before the public release. I did it with iOS 5. So once you have the GM you have the final release so there's no need to go back to iOS 6

14. macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Unless the release build is not the same as the GM which has happened before, I wouldn't be surprised to see it this time

15. macrumors 603

Tyler23

The only time it happened was on an iOS 4 point release, I believe 4.1 but correct me if I'm wrong.

Otherwise, GM is the public release.

16. macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Happened with iOS 3, iOS 3.2, iOS 4, iOS 4.2, iOS 4.3... Actually, when you check how many GMs got out, most of the time the final build was different but since iOS 4.3 it hasn't happened so maybe it won't...

17. Tyler23, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013

macrumors 603

Tyler23

Source? I'm pretty sure that's inaccurate.

18. thread starter macrumors 6502

19. macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Typically the GM is the same build number that the public installs 9 days later.

For that reason you will be eligible for OTA updates and the 'beta' won't pink screen or expire.

I highly recommend this final build be installed via Setup as New and not just updated.

20. macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Tyler it was iOS 4.0 that had a different GM build.

Anyways why does it matter? If you get the GM build and the final release is different cant you just update? Or am I wrong?

----------

Most likely will, correct me if Im wrong but thats what happened with iOS 6 last year

21. macrumors 65816

ionjohn

No I don't think you can. We'd have to DFU and install the release build but anyways, we'll see in a couple of weeks

----------

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_SDK and I googled some missing

22. macrumors 603

Tyler23

23. macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Look at the build numbers for iOS 7 *or google the rest you'll see

24. macrumors 68040

VSMacOne

If the public release has a different version number than GM you'll have to download it from a direct link to Apple (or wherever else you find it) because neither iTunes nor OTA will pick it up as an update. I think this is how it's been in the past. Basically the way I understand it, the GM is the first version of iOS 7 out of beta, and in the past it wasn't possible to upgrade from beta to GM OTA. Had to be done via iTunes after downloading the ipsw.
    What I'll do is download the GM and update the software on top of the beta and then when the public launch occurs I will do a fresh install.

25. macrumors 68000

JetBlack7

I always do a fresh install after an update rolls out. From beta to GM? I'd advise you to do it so any bugs remaining on the beta won't transition on to the GM ;)