Fresh Install Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by the_insider, Jan 28, 2006.

1. the_insider macrumors regular

the_insider

Hi guys, i really need your help here.

My friends 12" powerbook was sent in for repair. He got a new case because his old one was really messed up. Anyways they sent him back a computer with what seems to be an empty hd. When I turn it on, a little icon with a question mark comes up. He lost his original osx cd's, so i took the powerbook home and inserted my tiger cd's (wich i got with my 15 inch powerbook) and it boots from the cd then tells me that it cannot install the software on this computer!? Is this normal, i thought you could install tiger on any number of computers.

I need to get osx running on this laptop. What do i have to do!?

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Each computer has it's 'own' restore dvds/cds to restore that system only, but if you could do that load a 15" PB tiger restore dvd software on to a 12" PB you would be breaking the eula agreement ..

So i say go out and buy the retail version of tiger and install on the 12" PB of your friends.. if you got 5 Macs in the same house then buy the family version.. if its only one system then the single version of tiger will work . :eek: :eek:

3. the_insider thread starter macrumors regular

the_insider

argh:mad:

is there no way around this! all i have is a powerbook restore cd, and an ibook restore cd.

4. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

nope sorry to burst the bubble.. :eek: :eek:

The retail version is your best option for the 12" PB if your friend has lost the restore dvd or cd to the PB

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Either that or have your friend call Apple and pout about it....It was your friend's responsibility, primarily, though, to keep those discs.

6. cam50626 macrumors member

Is there something on the single version of tiger that will stop it being installed on more than one computer?

7. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

There's no need to go out and buy a retail version of Tiger, or whatever operating system you wish to put on his PowerBook. It may seem odd for me to suggest this, but why not just download (via BitTorrent, or whatever other means) the discs for whatever operating system his PowerBook shipped with? It sounds like piracy, I know. But, it's actually not. Your friends does possess a licence for some version of OS X, and as such, it doesn't matter how or where he gets the discs to use it. Piracy is only present where the user is not licenced to use the software. Unfortunately, Apple has left this to be the last resort for those who have lost their restore CDs, and have no particular desire to purchase another copy of the OS they already own.

Alternatively, for those few of us that have GSX access, the restore CDs for the particular machine can be downloaded from Apple's site.

8. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Technically no but morally yes.. Since there's No product code to enter that doesn't give the 'user' all the free will to install on as many systems as they want.. But if you 'don't' mind ripping Apple off by using single user copy on multiple computers then its own guilt you'll have to deal with not me ..

if you got 10 systems then you need 2 family packs to use or buy an unlimited user pack from apple.. I'm not endorsing illegal activity either.. so i'm going to stop there because that stuff is frowned upon here..

mrishnan: yes its the "user" aka the owner of the system to keep track of the restore dvd/cds,but apple may say yes or no on the replacement of the restore dvds/cds.. but mostly likely the response from apple on the replacement dvd Question will be No..:eek:

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, sorry, this is what i was trying to say. I'm sorry if I was snippy. :( If I were your friend, I would try to call them and explain and tell them how much you love your Mac and just want to be back in a state of Zen-like oneness with it. :)