fresh install performance...

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by N-Y, Jul 25, 2012.

1. N-Y
    macrumors regular

i have couple of questions...
    i'm considering doing a fresh install.... if i go to apple store and buy ML from the store instead of downloading it, if im not mistaken it will come on a memory stick... will i be able to use that to do a fresh install?

also will i see a significant performance increase with a fresh install? over doing a upgrade?

2. macrumors newbie

Mountain Lion is digital release only through Mac App Store.

Fresh install generally should always provide better performance than a system that has been upgraded

3. macrumors regular

Fresh install or not?

I'm tempted to do a fresh install of ML. Is it worth doing? I know it will be smoother.

I remember doing a fresh install of snow leopard and it meant I didn't hit the snags a lot of others did with spinning beachballs etc.

4. macrumors regular

When I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion I started noticing more spinning beach balls. So I will definitely do a fresh install.

I'm just wondering what's the best way to get my files back on the fresh install from my TimeMachine Backup.

5. macrumors 6502a

Im not sure a fresh install will do anything compared to updating. The only tying that will slow down your system is the junk you currently have on there.

6. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

restoring with timemachine would be the same as doing an upgrade a true clean install you must re-install all apps manually and than drag you documents/movies/pictueres ect over from the external drive manually as well

7. macrumors regular

I think this is what I'm going to do. Can I use the disc utility to wipe back to a clean install of Lion? I don't have a copy of Lion - my MBA came with it.

8. macrumors regular

Drag and drop files from TimeMachine?

With the new clean install, will I be able to drag and drop my documents from my time machine backup that's on it's on external hdd to the new install?

Thanks.

Wait...I guess I can based on this article: http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_manually_restore_time_machine