fresh Mac Pro refurb, came with 1.5GB RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rd001, Dec 12, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Dec 4, 2006
    I just received my refurb MP, a stock 2.66 Xeon with 250GB drive. While waiting for it to warm up enough to plug in, I opened the case to check for freebies. In the lower RAM card, there is a single 512MB RAM module. The upper card has the normal two 512MB modules.

I've read a lot of threads here but haven't seen anyone post about this.

So is this safe to run as is? I assume so since they supposedly test them during the refurb process. Will it slow the machine down to run it this way?

Can I order up a single 512MB stick of Apple's FB-DIMMs to complete the set?
  2. macrumors regular

Nov 8, 2006
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 4, 2006
    Weird is more like it. I'm on hold with AppleCare now, to ask them if I can plug it in as is.
  4. macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    There have been some cases where refurb Macs show up with greater then advertised specifications.
  5. macrumors 68000

Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    My understanding is that the MP needs matched-pairs.. so 1Gb, 2Gb, 3Gb, etc.. 1.5Gb may not work properly. Very strange.
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 4, 2006
    I decided to remove the extra 512MB module from the lower riser card, following AppleCare's advice.

Anyone know where I could buy a single 512MB Apple FB-DIMM (Micron) or a compatible module?
  7. EGT
    macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003

Is it outside or in a fridge freezer or something? :p