Fresh MacBook installation failed. Nothing to boot into. CD's not working.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacWalk, Feb 9, 2007.

1. MacWalk macrumors newbie

Dec 15, 2006
    A friend of mine just bought a Core Duo MacBook and wanted to do a fresh install so we put in the original install discs that came with it and it would take about 3 minutes to load off the disc and then just say "Alert: Software cannot be installed on this computer".

We also tried going to Disk Utility and erasing the current drive, verify/repair disc - nothing worked. Also holding D at the beginning and going to Apple Hardware Test fails. It says hardware cannot be tested for this computer.

Any help guys? Its her first ever Mac. I never had problems with installations on my Powerbook. Dont know whats up here
  2. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    where did he buy the macbook? if not from apple or retail store, it's possible that the disks came with the macbook isn't for that computer... i dont have my disks with me so i dont know what would say on there, but i'd assume it identify what type of machine it is used for. can you check on that?
  3. MacWalk thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 15, 2006
    She bought it one month old from the first owner. They look like, most definitely are the original discs. These are the grey ones that say MacBook 10.4.8 Disc 1.

What do you guys think might be wrong?
  4. 53kyle macrumors 65816

Mar 27, 2012
    Sebastopol, CA
    I know this reply is 5 years late, but the "core duo" macbook install cd is 10.4.6 not 10.4.8, so unless the macbook is actually "core 2 duo", the cd is wrong. You can get a new install cd from the apple store for a fee.