fresh off the heels of the flag amendment...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vniow, Jun 29, 2006.

1. vniow macrumors G4

The House fails to advance a bill protecting the words "under God" in the Pledge.

I can't beleive this stuff is actually being considered as a bill.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

The Republicans really have their priorities in line...I mean at least they have them unlike the Democrats, but too bad they are so ****ed up.

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Can some of you explain to me what exactly is so wrong with that bill?

I don't get what the hell you're all complaining about.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

"Under God" was added to the original pledge during the McCarthy era about 50+ years ago.

It's a blatant and obvious violation of church and state. That is, unless, you can somehow convince me that God is a secular term. ;)

The Republicans are trying to legislate from the Bible and keep people from changing the pledge by removing Under God from it.

5. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

What's wrong is that we have real problems in this country that the Republicans should be dealing with (since they're in power, they get the lions share of the blame) and not stupid wedge issues designed to try and keep them in power.

Gay marriage
    Flag burining
    Under god

How about dealing with some real issues?

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

But why do you care? That's what I do not understand so far.

EDIT: I must be the only Republican in all of MR.

EDIT #2: So are you suggesting that the Republicans are ignoring all problems, and focusing all of their massive efforts entirely on flag burning and the like? Can we be a little less realistic?

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Because its a violation of the Constitution and the dingalings up on the hill aren't dealing with real issues. ;)

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Not if it becomes an amendment.

9. iGary Guest

iGary

Amendments can be un-Constitutional. An ammendment is a law like anything else.

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

But until it is deemed un-Constitutional, it is still a legal ammendment.

EDIT: But aside from that, what's the beef with the flag-burning thing? What problem could you lefties possibly have with that???

11. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I'm a left-leaning moderate, but I agree with you. There are som many problems here in the US, and I'd rather worry about those than issues that are more "theoretical"

12. iGary Guest

iGary

So why try to pass something that is a) By your own admission not a big deal b) Is un-Constitutional to begin with?

There is an entire thread on Flag Burning in this Forum.

Take a look back at the docket of the last few weeks and show me a Republican Bill that actually deals with an important issue.

13. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Because I would rather it stay than go.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

Even if it goes against tha Constitutional tenets of this country?

15. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Would you still rather see it stay if the U.S. were a majority Muslim country and it said "under Allah" instead of "under God"?

16. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yes.

Yes. In this case, I would realize that I am in a muslim country, and would respsect and appreciate it's heritage. It has nothing to do with what religion I am. Plus "allah" is just the muslim translation of the word "god" - so it's essentially the same.

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Why would anyone waste all the money, time and effort on such a trivial issue? Christianity, far from being under attack is gaining by leaps and bounds in the US. Is the republican, fundamentalist christian lobby so insecure about their own beliefs that they need it enshrined in the constitution? I think it's mostly a matter of attempting to force others to bow before their god. You may well remember that the constitution has something to say about the establishment of a state religion. By embracing the capitalized word, god, they are clearly singling out a specific religion(s) and trying to force on all Americans, its universal adoption.

Symbols are simply symbols. If someone stole Betsy Ross' flag or one of the original copies of the US constitution, then I'd be all for prosecuting them as they have historical value. Everything else is simply a copy and merely representative of the original. While I can't imagine under what circumstances I would want to burn the flag in protest, I feel it's an extremely potent method of showing my displeasure. Congress has proven in the past that attempting to remove the rights of people only leads to totalitarianism. A certain repressed idiot from Wisconsin should have taught us that lesson. Some people simply are unwilling to learn.

18. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

There is a HUGE difference between Republican and Christian. Unfortunately, I do not think you understand this difference and the fact they should not be mutually exclusive.

19. iGary Guest

iGary

OK, so you are against the U.S. Constitution.

20. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Why did you waste all your time typing this and other such posts on such trivial issues? Why do you care so much? You know, even though this entire forum appears to be far-left, you do realize that it lost by a very very slim margin (I believe one vote) - and even then it was still a majority. If a majority wants it, why can't you just let it be?

21. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Sure. If the current constitution allows for flag-burning and removing "under God" from the pledge of allegiance, then yes.

22. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Ok, let's say it were a Hindu nation and it said "under Ganesha"?

23. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

By putting God in it, your mixing state and religion, leave it out and you can't possible hurt anyone, because your not attacking any religion, your simply ignoring it.

If people added "Under no god or gods" i bet the people pushing this bill would really get pissed, so why even both even talking about God in it?

Also when its written your have "God" which may make some Jewish people made, as the write it as G-d, when it possible the paper will be trashed soon(that how i think it works, but i'm not jewish, so a Jewish person might want to make sure i'm right, also i think not all jews belief that, just some)

24. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yes. I don't expect India to put "under Jehovah" in it's nation's songs.

25. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm guessing you'd keep the parts you like, though.