fresh os install

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shiunn, Feb 14, 2007.

1. shiunn macrumors 6502

hey ppl,
    i've got 2 questions really. first, would a clean install of osx from the dvd come with a trial of iwork and office for mac?
    second, with a clean install, is it possible to set it up in such a way that, it is like "new from factory - including all the welcome and registration + id photo taking screens" when switched on?
    the reason i'm asking is cuz i'm passing on my cd macbook to my sister.

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I don't remember if the bundled apps are reinstalled when you perform a clean install. If not, there is an installer on the CD/DVD that is named something like "Install Bundled Applications" or something to that effect.

Also, after a clean install the registration wizard and ID creation wizards will run. Once you reach this step, simply power off the computer so when your sister receives it, she will see the same wizard, as if it were new.

3. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

swifty response!
    thanks kingjr. will give it a try when the time comes.

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

If it doesn't install it from the regular reinstall, then I believe you can do a custom install and check those two apps trials...I imagine you can download the trials as well.

On my iMac it came on a separate disc.

5. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

On a MacBook CD, yes they are there, when you get past the screen asking which hard drive to use, there is a button in the lower left that says Customize. That will let you choose. It's under an option.

I have a better way of doing the "resealing". I do the fresh install, and then i go thru the wizard and make a user called setup. I do all the updates for the person, and then do the following:

1. Shutdown your Macbook
    2. Power on and hold down the Apple Key and the letter S. This will boot you into Single User (UNIX) mode.
    3. At the prompt type (hit enter after each line):
    mount -uw /
    rm -Rf /Users/setup
    rm /var/db/.applesetupdone
    shutdown -h now

in line two, if you didnt call the user setup, put in what ever you did call it. What this does is it removes the user and removes them from the system. Next it deletes the file that triggers the Registration sequence. Then it shuts down your Mac.

Next reboot your Mac and make sure the Registration Screen comes up. Hit Apple-Q and you will be prompted to shut down the machine, leaving it "resealed" for your sister.

If you don't want to do all the updates for her... just do the Apple-Q thing during the Registration sequence. I however like doing updates for folks so they can just start playing.

macboyX

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

FYI, this doesn't remove the user from the system, but simply their home folder. If you want to remove a user you should use niutil.

7. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

complicated stuff. will give it a try
    in any case, i have my new c2d macbook. it comes loaded with a 10.4.8, so i think i'll use that copy to do the installing.