Fresh OS X installation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macintoshxiii, Feb 8, 2007.

1. macintoshxiii macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

Hey does anyone know if it is possible to install a fresh copy of fresh OS X to a new hard drive? For instance, I upgrade my hdd from 80 Gb to 160 Gb and hence would need the OS to run but how is it possible to do that? Is it neccessary to bring the iMac or powerbook to apple store to get this simple matter fix? (say I know how to get the hardware done personally):confused:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, it is possible. I have done this procedure myself, both using a retail copy of Mac OS X and one that came with my Mac. Worked perfectly both times, and I didn't need to do anything special to prove I was eligible.

3. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Just boot from the install disc. Nothing special.

--Eric

4. macintoshxiii thread starter macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

Does this applicable to the mac intel as well? But how do you do it? Simply just replace the new hdd (eg. 80Gb to 160 Gb) and install the OS X from the retail cd?

5. ready2switch macrumors 6502

Yes.

6. macintoshxiii thread starter macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

Sorry guys.... I don't mean to doubt but just uncertain.... how sure are you guys that this will work? 100%? No problems occured ever? Excuse me for such skeptical question...

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

100% sure.

Use a cloner app like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your current install onto the new install.

8. macintoshxiii thread starter macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

Why do i need to clone when i can use the retail copy cd?

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

That's if you want to copy everything over, all your documents and installed apps, not just a clean install of OS X. For a clean install, the retail disc will be fine.

10. macintoshxiii thread starter macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

so meaning i will get kinda backup for my current stuff in my mac and get them to a new hdd?

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Please note, retail copies of Tiger will NOT install on Intel Macs.

You have a new HD for your PowerMac, pop it in, clone your boot volume to it, choose the new HD from the startup disk list, you're now up and running on your new HD with an EXACT duplicate of your old HD. Just larger. ;)

12. macintoshxiii thread starter macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

Why can't retail copy be install intel mac? ok can you give me a detailed steps to do the cloning? Thank you for the time.

13. Knapan macrumors newbie

I tried doing it yesterday on my g3 iMac and it doesnt seem to work. :confused:

14. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Retail copies can't be installed on Intel Macs because they don't contain Intel-compatible code. Simple as that.

As for the cloning, I recommend SuperDuper! for this task. It's pretty easy to use. All you need to do is select the source disk and target disk from the drop down menus at the top, click Copy, type your password when prompted, and wait while SuperDuper! does the work.

15. macintoshxiii thread starter macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

Thank you for the suggestions but are there freeware instead? Just trying to find out...

16. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Do you have the original discs that came with the computer. If so after installing the HD put in the disc and you will be able to install it... You may have to hold down the C to get it to boot off the disc.

Nuc

17. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You can clone as much as you like with SuperDuper! in its unregistered state. You just can't use the Smart Update feature or scheduled copies.

18. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You can use SuperDuper as freeware. You only have to pay if you want automatic backup and other scheduling features. The basic cloning is free.

Edit: too slow, but hey, I added a link ;)

19. macintoshxiii thread starter macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

Oh great thing then... but what if I'm doing backup and need to shift over to my new imac intel? Is there anyway for that?

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Can you please provide a little more details into what you exactly mean by this statement? To me, it doesn't make much sense. "Doing the backup" on what computer, to what device, how? Switch to what?

21. macintoshxiii thread starter macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

So sorry bout the statement, I was not paying attention when I was typing. Pardon me... anyway I simply wanna say, how can i backup my stuff from my powerbook and get them in a new intel imac 20" ? And also why is it that a retail copy of OS X can be installed in mac but not a Windows notebook for instance?

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Use a firewire cable and follow the directions using the Migration Assistant on your new computer.

Because OS X is not sold for non-Apple hardware.