Frickin' Fan!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by _bnkr612, Oct 24, 2004.

1. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Anyone else have a problem with their G5 fan? They say "quiet fans" but when I have a TV on or iTunes playing (not super loud) I can always hear the fan and it is starting to annoy me. I spent all this money on a machine and I am starting to get frustrated.

I cleaned all the dust off the fans and make sure it was getting enough air flow...

It's a 1.6 so it should be even quiter than a dual. What gives?

Any suggestions? If not, I am going to finally call AppleCare.

Cheers.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It never hurts to give AppleCare a call. How long have you had the machine? I have a G4 that makes a constant fan noise, my understanding is that it's louder than the G5. It has been with me for over 4 years, the noise doesn't even bother me. I think that most people learn to ignore noises after a while. Try to have a little patience with your machine. :D

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

With two TVs on in my apartment, I can hear my hard drive spinning right now. That's in a fanless CRT iMac. Remember, quiet does not mean silent. It's going to produce some noise.

But, it's possible that it really is out of whack... both hardware and software problems could cause a fan to run at top-speed all the time, or perhaps the fan itself needs replacing. Call Applecare, but be very sure of yourself when you do-- they'll try to say it's normal operating sound. But if you can baseline it for them (like, if you put another machine side-by-side, and yours is louder, you have a case here).

paul

4. stevey500 macrumors 6502

lol yea, when I had my pc it sounded like a jet engine :cool:

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

FWIW, my Rev A dual-2.0 is the quietest tower I've ever owned. That said, it isn't silent.

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

my laptop sounds like a a box fan most of the time because it runs so hot and when the cd drive is on it hits 73C and shakes. enjoy the relative quiet of your g5 because compared to a lot of computers it's actually quite quiet:p

7. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

the only time i can remember my pb getting loud was when i tried the UT04 demo
    homerjward, i know what you mean with the cd thing- my powerbook shakes the entire desk anytime i put in a cd