friend buys new iPod from me, still has warranty?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mcgarry, Mar 24, 2005.

1. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

First, the apologies:
    1) I tried to search, but could not find anything like this, or could not find the right terms to use, so sorry if this has been discussed
    2) I wasn't sure which forum this belongs in, but this is the catch-all
    3) this might be the dumbest question I've ever asked on the forum (and that's saying something)

The question:
    My father won an iPod in a raffle. We have decided that he has no use for it after all. I have no interest in it myself as I have the same model, my brothers already have ones too, my wife wants a mini, etc. So we decided to sell it. I found an acquaintance (a friend's girlfriend) who wants to buy it, at what is a reasonable price for us and a good discount for her. Now, this thing is new, in-box, never been opened or used. If she buys it from me, will she still have the full 1-year warranty, as if she'd bought it from a real store? I ask only because she won't have a receipt, and thus might have trouble proving when she bought it, etc. I don't want to give her a bad deal, and I think an iPod without a warranty is not the best idea. Your advice please!

Thanks all.

2. iceTrX macrumors regular

All Apple warranties are fully transferable.

3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

What model is it? If it's a 20 gig, those go for $270 brand new, so i would say sell it to her somewhere between $200 and $230. I think thats pretty reasonable. Unless you want to try and match Apple's price on their special deals section.

4. mcgarry thread starter macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

It is a 4G 20GB, which officially retails for $300 ($270 edu). I couldn't find any 20GBs for sale in the US special deals section. This iPod is, in any case, brand new, in-the-box, never been used.

The point of this question is that I don't want to unfairly take advantage of her: I think an iPod with no warranty or a shorter warranty is worth less than one with the full warranty, and I want to charge her accordingly.

So, she will just be able to register as its owner when she opens the box, and won't have to produce a receipt at some point?

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the warranty shouldnt be a problem, but if you really really want to be on the safe side i would give apple a call and let them know of the situation, that way your bases are covered, or email them

it might be a pain, but its really the only way to be one hundred percent sure about the warranty if you ask me

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

If the iPod was not registered at the time of purchase (which is HIGHLY doubtful that it was) the AppleCare warranty has not been registered to anyone yet. Just sell it to her and remind her to register when it asks to.
    It is quite similar to being given an iPod as a gift with no receipt.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The warranty is fully transferable and she can buy the extended one, too, if she wants.

8. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I bought a PM from coleg and re-registered the system when I reinstalled Panther. Apple was more than happy to give me phone support under my name and take my $250.00 for Applecare. I really don't think they care as long as the S/N is valid.