Friend switched to Android, but my iPhone refuses to accept it

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Jbenn425, Nov 27, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

My friend switched to android, but my iPhone insists on iMessaging her and then telling me "delivery failed". I tried deleting her contact info and all texts from her and typing her phone number in, and it still remembered it and tried to iMessage it. How can I make my iPhone stop attempting to send an iMessage to an android?

2. macrumors newbie

dustrho

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Tried that, still doing it when I turn it back on.

4. macrumors 68020

teknikal90

no your friend needs to do that

5. macrumors 68000

Leave iMessage on but do u have send as sms when iMessage not available checked?

Do their messages to you go through?

6. macrumors newbie

dustrho

Delete all texts from her and don't add her contact info into your phone. Have her text you. Reply to her. It should then know to send it as a text vs iMessage. If that works, then add her as a contact.

7. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

yea this is what happens when the person switching doesnt turn off their imessage before they switch phones. apples servers think they are still on an iphone. try seeing if she can switch back to her iphone temporarily, turning off imessage, then switch back to the droid.

or do what the guy above me said, delete her contact and have her send you a message first.

8. thread starter macrumors regular

Her old iPhone has been traded in.

Yes, I receive messages from her phone. And the SMS option is checked in. Yet, it doesn't do it automatically, i always have to do it manually.

Will try this tomorrow.

9. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

have her go into itunes, into her account settings, and remove the device from her device list. that may disassociate it from apples servers.

10. macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me when my son traded in his 5S for a note 3

Delete the contact information and then just reinstall it.

11. macrumors regular

If you call Apple, we can remove iMessage from being associated with your number. We'll send a message to the number with a confirmation code, then enter that code on our end, and then poof; fixed.

12. macrumors P6

Is that something official and documented somewhere?

13. macrumors member

You need to edit the contact and change the label on the phone number to mobile from iPhone.

This fixed it for me on one of my friends who switched from iPhone to android.

14. macrumors 65816

Troneas

get hangouts. most likely she is using that now. it'll be cheaper than sending sms anyway.

15. macrumors regular

I doubt it. But it can be done by pretty much any Tier 1 technical advisor.

16. macrumors P6

Good to know. At the same time there's really no way for a user to do something simple like that themselves without their iOS device? You'd think you should be able to do it online where you manage your Apple ID.

17. macrumors regular

The iPhone label doesn't change the way your contact gets treated. It knows that when you make/receive the text. I'm guessing the header on the packet contains the hardware/software information.

18. macrumors 65816

Have her log in to her apple account on a web browser and change her password.

This forces a reset of all devices linked to iMessage & FaceTime. Since she no longer has any devices logged into iMessage, other peoples's phones wll send texts instead.

19. macrumors 6502a

zone23

You could just wait a week and when she comes back to the iPhone you'll be all set.

20. macrumors demi-god

Hopefully she's not signed into iMessage using her telephone number from a Mac or another iOS device.

21. dejo, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013

dejo

Staff Member

Mod Note: This thread was closed temporarily to remove off-topic posts. Now that it has reopened please remain on-topic. Thank you.

22. macrumors regular

tap the exclamation, then tap send as SMS. From then on it will send as SMS.

23. macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

The only thing that worked for me was calling Apple and having then disassociate my number with iMessage. I'm not sure what code eww7633 is talking about because I didn't have to do that. The rep simply removed my number and since then I haven't had any issues.

24. IFRIT, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014

macrumors 6502a

Some people complain that Google Hangouts does not auto select SMS or Google+ i for one am glad that i can manually select to avoid situations like this.

25. macrumors P6