Friend wants Apple's for his business...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by slick316, Oct 26, 2006.

1. slick316 macrumors 6502

Sep 28, 2005
    small business that is. He owns a small car stereo shop. He is using old PC's and would really like Apple's in the store.
    He currently uses three computers, two in the front for the sale staff and one in his office (all computers are networked, the office computer is used to back up all company data from the sales computers).
    They use Quickbooks as there main app, internet for research, they would need an app for appointment scheduling, and a way to connect a fax machine to the office computer to recieve all incoming faxes.
    Are Apple's a viable choice for him?
    I suggested the $999 iMac's. I figured that would be good enough since the current computers are a 1.4GHZ AMD Athlon w/256mb ram and 20GB HD, 933MHZ PIII w/512mb ram and 40GB HD and the office PC is a P4 2.4GHZ w/512mb ram and two 80GB HD's (one for backup).

What do you guys think?
  2. SkyBell macrumors 604

Sep 7, 2006
    Texas, unfortunately.
    I'm not sure whats compatible, but i think your friend just needs a Mac Mini. He just needs to use the stuff from his PC's. An iMac seems like overkill to me.
  3. Kidman13 macrumors regular

May 16, 2006
    Well as for as I know there's not a wide variety of POS (Point of Sale) programs available on the Mac. So I guess at the cash register he's stuck with a windows pc. Might want to get a Mac Mini and dual boot Windows with Boot Camp.
  4. MSD401 macrumors 6502

Oct 18, 2006
    Ogden, UT
  5. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Apr 19, 2005
    And then there's Checkout
  6. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 28, 2005
    Well Quickbooks works for him right now as a point of sales app, and they make an Apple version of the software. What he is tired with is Windows and spyware and that non sense (especially when he is trying to create a quote for a customer and the computer gets all screwy).

All his monitors are 15" CRT's from way back (they are pretty messed up after coming in contact with subwoofer and speaker magnets over the years). Also, none of the KB/Mice are USB.

I considered Mini's, but then he would have to add a KB/Mouse to each and monitor. The iMac seemed like a good deal for an all in one machine that has everything included.

That checkoutapp seems cool though, I will definately let him know about that.
  7. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2003
    For Point of Sale hardware, there's always Troll Touch.

Beware that the Quickbooks for Mac isn't really the same caliber as the Windows product. Luckily, there are other, less well known, accounting applications that would likely serve him well.
  8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Do not even consider Mac Quickbooks (or AccountEdge) for networked multiuser accounting.

Before you recommend a hardware solution, you must research and tie down a solid, supportible software solution. Then get the hardware that runs that. To do any different is to do your friend a real disservice.
  9. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 28, 2005
    Let me guess, the Mac version of Quickbooks has less features? The guy at Intuit was telling my friend how both versions are identical, guess he just wanted to make a sale.
    That checkoutapp looks really good after looking at there website. I might download and install it on my MB and let him check it out, might be a cool alternative to QB.

Thanks for the help guys.

BTW, I think he was looking into refurbs, its not like he really cares about buying new since its for the business, as long as it has warranty.
  10. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

Sep 20, 2006
    agreed, make sure he can get all the software he needs before considering getting the hardware. and a Mac Mini would suffice for his needs
  11. Silencio macrumors 68020

Jul 18, 2002
    Quickbooks doesn't not make a version of their POS system for the Mac. They have a whole suite of vertical market products for Windows, but only Quickbooks Pro for the Mac.

There are quite a few interesting POS apps for the Mac. Also check out XSilva Lightspeed and MacPOSX.

The iMacs are a much better deal than the Mac minis, especially if you need to add new monitor, keyboard and mouse anyway.
  12. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 28, 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions on the POS software, its really helpful.

He is wanting to make the switch in Jan. 2007 when he does some minor renovations to the building. We still have some time to do the research, he just wants to get a good idea of what he is looking at cost wise so he can work it into his budget.

Just wondering, Apple doesn't have small business discounts or services do they?
  13. ddekker macrumors regular

Sep 23, 2006
    apple POS

I don't know a ton of companies that use apple POS (point of sale), but my dry cleaner that is a large chain (sheldon cleaners) recently switched over to all apple, be interesting to see if they have custom POS software or an off the shelf solution... I'll try and sneak a peak at the screen next time I'm in there...

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    Try to make a purchase after Macworld San Fransisco 2007. Mac minis or iMacs seem to fit the bill.

They offer them for education. I'd expect a volume discount but you'd be buying quite a few machines for that.
  15. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    There are numerous business software solutions available for Mac OSX,

Just go to and search for specific business solutions like accounting, inventory control, point of sales etc.

Or you can run Parallels Desktop for any specific Windows Only applications.
  16. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2003
    I found this site that discusses POS for Macs.

Not sure how many of them are universal binary though...

Like many have suggested try google. To bad Apple didn't license their POS software (or do they??).

17. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    I don't know if he uses MS Office, but that is still not Mac Intel Native, so it runs terrible under being simulated by Rosetta and can crash your Mac or Office at random!
  18. jlcharles macrumors 6502

Mar 30, 2006
    Wenonah, NJ
    I have not had one ounce of trouble from office on my intel imac.
  19. bowens macrumors 6502a

Jun 19, 2006
    Trenton, FL
    You don't need a new kb/mouse. Just get one of these for each mini. It's what I use. Walmart actually had a cheaper one at the store where I live, but I couldn't find it online. The one I have was about $15. It's a lot cheaper than buying a usb keyboard and mouse.
  20. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    Somehow I dont think the Apple Stores run Windows on their POS iMacs :D