Friends and Family hate me because of APPLE!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by userannon, Jun 14, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

I don't know if it is just me or is there a stigma against buying an Apple?

To start, I love PC's, I have my A+ certs along with Hubble, MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) and MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer). I am no newbie when it comes to computers, in fact I love computers.

So I bought a Powerbook G4 12'. I love the size and the build quality. The finishing touches are perfect. There is not one laptop that even comes close to the price I paid, $1399, Student discount. I wanted a laptop for school and the 12in G4 is perfect. Bluetooth, 802.11G, CDRW, LED Status on battery, 64mb DDR graphics all in a little 12incher.

When I showed my friends they laughed and asked WHY?? Even my family went nuts. You would figure that I know what I am doing and I wouldn't buy any crappy products.

I just wanted to know if anyone else had this problem? :)

2. macrumors member

Sounds like jealously, plain and simple. Personally, I can't enjoy myself on a Windows PC. Have you ever tried to go on the Internet on one of those? It's ridiculous. Too many pop-ups. I know like 5 people whose computers have been taken over by spyware that slows their computer down. That just doesn't happen on Macs.

3. macrumors 68000

russed

spyware is the bane of my life, i hate the stuff, i couldnt put up with windows any longer and had to get out. apple is great. tell them to have a play with it and they will fall in love with it!

4. macrumors 68040

jxyama

who cares?

i mean seriously...

5. macrumors 68040

jxyama

it's funny you mention pop-ups because with XP, you get pop-ups without going online. you get plenty of pop-ups about XP finding new devices or new wireless network or offers to clean up the desktop icons.

it's so intrusive. if the computer is working fine, as it should, why would i care to know that it's working? :rolleyes:

i know they put in the clean up unused desktop icons in response to complaints about cluttered desktops. (as any program installed usually puts a shortcut on the desktop.) but geez, if that wasn't annoying already, now it bothers me all the time about how it can be cleaned!

to all that, i say, just let me use the damn computer. stay out of my way.

6. macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

A few weeks ago I picked up a Pentium III 733 MHz, 128 RAM, I've installed 98 SE on it.
    I refuse to connect it to the internet for fear of spyware, ads, virii, trojans, ect.
    It's out of controll.
    I know how you feal. :(

And I do know peple who resent and hate me for using Macs a my prefered OS. :mad:

7. macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

I've been a Windows user all my life and recently ordered a Mac... After 16 years w/ Windows you get the hang of it, and now I'm an expert with it... I have no problems and get no pop-ups... You have to download software though to get rid of all the crap on Windows, two necessities are...

Ad-Aware

and...

the Google and/or MSN toolbar which will prevent you from getting pop-ups...

I'm just giving out helpful hints to you guys, not sticking up for Windows, because after all the problems I went through I am glad to be getting a Mac... Mac OS X is so much better then Windows! :D

8. macrumors regular

The same thing happend to me when I got my frist Mac a few months ago. Now I just make fun of them when they try to use there PCs.

9. macrumors 68040

jxyama

at least, can't you now claim ignorance of all the windows expertise when your family and friends come ask for help?

"Oh, sorry, I forgot all about Windows now, I use Macs, remember?" :D

10. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

That is strange, a lot of PC people that I know are either thinking of switching or have recently switched to the Mac. The ones that switched have gotten some of their friends to switch to a Mac also. The iBook, Powerbook, and eMac models have been the most popular systems.

Just tell people you are tired of viruses, spyware, and popups and that is the reason you switched. It was taking too much time download patches and buying anti-virus software and updating it. You just want the computer to work correctly and save you time.

11. macrumors 6502

my dad: why the bloody hell do you kids keep buying macs?
    :)

12. macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Trust me, they'll switch :D. Same thing happened to my Windows loving friend when I switched. Then, I showed him what my PB could do, and now he wants one. He goes campaigning around school (which is a little embarasing :eek: ) about how Macs are better than PC's. And to be honest, he's gotten a few to switch.

Just give them time. ;)

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY

13. macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

20 mins. later you hear him speaking to his PC - "How do you turn this stupid thing on???"

:D :D :D

JOD8FY

14. macrumors 6502a

Sigh.
    People are sheep. Plain and simple. No one wants to do their homework. I won't say Macs are the best machines but they come pretty close.
    Windows is okay. Utilitarian-wise. Market forces don't determine the best product.

15. macrumors P6

MacDawg

My brother and I are the only ones in our family that use the Mac... and we have since the Mac SE. Our uncles and cousins use PCs and laugh at us thinking we are using a "toy". The standard arguement is that there is no software out there. To which I always replied "how many word processors do you need?". There is nothing that they use that couldn't be done on a Mac. Email, word processing, web browsing, etc. but they still say that there is no software. Just an arguement that they heard from someone else years ago. I don't let it bother me. I just use my Mac, and they just curse their PCs.

16. macrumors 68040

jxyama

i think "there's no software" is often meant as "there's no software i can just copy from others." ;)

and i think it's true to a degree, many people stay away from switching because they need to be able to get programs from their friends for their computer.

17. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Well since you have a Mac now, go download a nice windows virus and send it them as a nice little I joke on them. If they give u crap, then maybe they really are not your friends, a true friend is supportive no matter what computer platform u use. :cool:

18. macrumors regular

Yes, I've had the same problem. When I bought my TIbook my girl friend's dad made all these stupid remarks about how I wasn't buying a "real" computer.

I'm a Computer/ Electrical Engineer student at the moment at NC State (and yes those are two separate degrees). He on the other hand likes to think he knows a lot about computers cause he can do some VB and reinstall Windows98 on his friends computers.

You know, I don't want to sound arrogant or anything, but you think maybe....just maybe...I might know a little bit more about computers than he does?!? These kinds of things are frustrating, and there isn't much you can do about it. Trying to sanely argue your position just makes them more defensive and they tend to resort to the tired old "Mac's just suck" routine.

But you know what, there really isn't must point in fighting it. The fact remains that some people just don't like change. Why do you think the fundamental interface of Windows has remained the same? People don't like change...

19. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I just laugh at this point when i get email with a virus attached.

And as long as Apple offers Virex as part of .Mac, i'll be OK.

I just wish that Safari was totally compatible with IE. I know about the debug menu, but some websites are so freaking tied to active x, it is useless.

20. macrumors 603

quagmire

My family was already mac users. Most of my friends accepted me using macs.(even though they call me macdevil but, I know that they are just joking around) Two of them dispise me for using mac. They both can't believe halo is on the mac. They think they are slow only looking at clockspeed. They never looked at macs at an apple store. They do admit that apple designs their computers then pcs. They also complain they freeze. Thats why I hate OS 9 it had freeze alot so they presume Panther and other Mac OS X systems had freeze alot too. They admit macs are immune to viruses.

21. macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Heh. I was at Best Buy today at the cashier buying a music CD when the woman in front of me had 2 boxes. One for a pop-up blocker, and one for a spyware stopper.

I had to just laugh to myself a bit.

1) She probably spent $40 on software that she could get free online.

2) She wouldn't need it at all if she had a Mac.

22. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I just wish that Mail or Entourage had the ability to import PST files.....

23. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

get a new family

24. macrumors regular

upperblue79

I actually did that just yesterday, I had an old friend who always called me to fix his pc and just yesterday he called with a handful or problems, I told him that since I have switched to mac it has been so long since I have had to fix any kind of computer problems that I dont know how anymore and told him that since it's been more then a month since he has reformated his pc that would probably be his best option. LOL

25. macrumors regular

upperblue79

Correct me if I"m wrong, but Halo was being developed as a Mac only game before Microsoft purchased it for the XBox.