FRIENDS Diappoitment

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chip NoVaMac, May 6, 2004.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Let us forget the Seinfeld disappointment...

Tonight's "goodbye" was really lacking.. it lacked the imagination of "Mary Tyler Moore". "bob Newhart', or many others. Even "Roseanne' had an imaginative ending, compared to tonight's "Friends" ending....

2. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

i'm just glad it's over.

3. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Along with their tired careers .... ;)

4. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Amen, it was supposed to end two years ago, except for corporate profits.....

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ummmm... i thought the seinfeld ending was brilliant

6. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You have a point. Much like the Newhart ending.....

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What? Compared to a regular Seinfeld epi, the Seinfeld finale was horrible. It was the worst episode of Seinfeld, and since it was the last episode, it was also the most disappointing...

I didn't see the Friends ending, but did anything significant happen. Did someone kick Ross in the balls, disabling him from having any more children for the rest of his life?

*prays*

8. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Ignoring the other posts that add nothing to the topic of this thread:

I totally agree and was thinking about it when it was over(during the commercials of E.R. of course) how it would have been better...

I really couldn't come up with anything great either :p

Whatever happened to rachael's baby? Didn't see her get on the plane with it.

I may actually watch that show of Joey's. It may end up being funny :D

9. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Unfortunantly, nothing great happened...1 baby being adopted turned into twins, Ross ends up with rachael because she decides to stay...(rest of show filled with crying and sad moments)

10. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I was thinking that Joey and Chnadler "admitting" their gay "love affair" and going off to Mass. would have been great....

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Rachael's mom had the baby and was going to fly to France w/her a few days after Rachael.

Lethal

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

well, there's basically two ways they could have ended the series. the first would be to try to a seinfeld "super episode", probably w/ some lame goodbye scenario and outdoing every other show they've done. and that's tough.

the other, the one they chose, was to do an anti-ending. what i found brilliant was how they had the characters remain the same, but they changed their world by changing the lens through which we saw them. we always sort of knew the main four characters were petty and horrible, but the coddling was gone and we were able to see them w/ new eyes, in all their horribleness.

what's even better was what i thought was a nice Satre-esque No Exit kind of ending, where their hell is to spend it w/ each other. add a nice touch of "it doesn't matter where they are, they'll still be petty and horrible", and i deem it brilliant. risky, too, which i liked.

13. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

For what ever reason, this final was lacking. At least "Roseanne" was filled with thoughtful premise. the same way for the "Mary Tyler Moore" finale.
    It is about the "advertising" dollars. Not about the quality. We are lemmings to te sea.

14. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

So we had Chandler and Monica, Phobe and Ben, and Rachel and Ross. That leaves Joey alone. After 1o years it is sad that none of them have found more meaningful or religious life's.

It saddens me that out-of-wedlock births are celebrated on TV. And this from a liberal.

15. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Friends and all other network sitcoms (excluding Seinfeld) for the most part are totaly trash. The really crappy played out scenereos that we have all seen in some form are dull to me and leave me not wanting to watch more. It seems like its more about advertising than the actual show.

One show I have taken quite a liking to is a show called Trailer Park Boys. Its a low budget Canadian mocumentary that takes place in a trailer park on the east coast. Its quite crude and somewhat low brow, but the the show is incredibly witty. The main characters are dumb as rocks and are always doing stupid things that normal human beings would do but at the same time dont glorify what they are doing (they are dope smoking, no talent crooks that make their living off of petty crime).

Its definatly not your cutesy NBC sitcom thats been overdone, thats for sure.

Edit: Catch it on Sunday nights on Showcase in Canada or nightly on BBC America.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I wanted them to do an anti-ending as well, but the bad jokes....oh, the number of times I wanted to laugh, but couldn't even conjure up a slight "hehe".

I always imagined that at the end of Seinfeld, no dramatic changes would happen and the final scene would be of the gang sitting in Jerry's apartment, reflecting on an unimportant issue of some sort.... then maybe a fadeout. A shot of the gang just being there.....together.....that's all I wanted. The show is over, but their lives still move on together....forever. I sort of got that, but the entire court case and trial and being sent to jail.....too much of a flashback episode.

Friends should have ended in a similar way. Why does a show's finale always require some major events to happen? Its a finale, but since their lives supposedly move on, it isn't a conclusion, y'know?

17. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I'm not a huge friends follower, but I think it was a fine ending. Why do show endings always have to be something earth shattering? They wrapped things up, had the characters moving on, and put ross and rachel together. Every die hard fan I know was satisfied with the conclusion.

Seinfeld on the other hand never appealed to me at all. From what I heard of the ending they tried to hard to do something with it and ended up just botching it.

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It was too cuddly - everyone happy, especially Ross and Rachel. Ross should have gone to Paris not have Rachel staying and giving everything up.

Silly - and the whole twins thing was a bit lame. There was so much more they could have done, it almost seems as if the writers sort of gave in in the end....

D

19. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    not that i watched it, but you'd think the OB/GYN would say that you're having twins... or at least be a responsible parent and have a few sonograms or ultrasounds, or whatever those are called...

20. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

not sure if it's celebrated or that it's more of a fact of life these days... portraying it doesn't necessarily make it celebrated and not portraying it doesn't make the issue go away...

anyway, i thought it was a good ending. no surprises, but since this was the last episode, they can't do surprises - the last episode cannot be a cliff hanger!

mistaking JFK and EWR was a pretty funny touch. surprise twins was a bit unrealistic. but overall, i can't see other endings being any better. had ross flown off to paris, we wouldn't have had all of them dropping off their keys at the apartment - that was a good ending. boring? perhaps. but it was appropriate, i thought.

21. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

except for joey what with the spinoff and everything. :rolleyes:

22. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

My take on the Seinfeld ending: it was not too great to watch at the time, I'll agree, BUT it had a very important effect on the way you viewed the show thereafter. Seinfeld was a very subversive show-- all of the characters were bad people. There were no "very special episodes" of Seinfeld. In writing the finale Larry David made sure that he EMPHASIZED (without a clip show) just how bad those people were-- and it makes you view the reruns in a different light altogether-- they are even better.

Friends, on the other hand, was crap--a soap opera, not a sitcom-- and it was FILLED with "very special episodes" and the worst kind of idiotic sex humor.

(credit for soap point: http://slate.msn.com/id/2100008/

23. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

After so many years of watching a show, you want some sort of closure. Shows like Mary Tyler Moore, bob Newhart, and Roseanne IMO provided that.

Today the money matters too much. The networks want to provide a means of a "comeback" special.

24. iBook macrumors regular

The ending, while not particularly memorable, worked for me. It did get the friends moving on convincingly to the next chapter of their "lives," much the way fate, events and other people do for us in our own, very real dramas. Not sure what else we could have expected or what more the writers could have delivered, given the "true paths" that have long been set in place and motion for Chandler, Joey, Monica, Phoebe, Rachel and Ross. Most books, movies and other tv shows, for that matter, simply exist to open and close a window into the lives and worlds of others; hopefully, we're informed and entertained along the way.

25. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

It would be really great if someone could do me a little favor. I am really a friends fan and watched a lot of episodes. But in germany it will not be available on DVD maybe until July or August 2005.

Would be great if someone could just tell what really happened.

Thanks and Cheers