friends squeaky new PowerBook

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by pianodude123, Apr 20, 2005.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

My friend recently purchased a new powerbook and it is very, lets say "squeaky." Every time the memory is used, it seems to make a high pitched squeak! It gets very very annoying when working on documents and everything else. Any suggestions?? If you need any more detail let me know

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

You may be tearing up tracks on the hard drive, contact apple. I take it he still has it under warranty?

3. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Is it coming from the top-right hand corner? (near the power button)

If you go to Titles in iMovie HD and preview the default one, it will probably bring it up consistently.

I sent in my first 17" Powerbook because of this, and they replaced the midplane. Still did it. I then had the whole Powerbook replaced with a new one, and this one does it too. I've now been told that this is normal.

I've only ever seen it occur with iMovie HD when previewing titles though, which is something I don't think I've ever done, other than playing around with it when I first got it. (as it was my first time with iLife '05)

If you have a buzzing / sizzling sound when it's idle, this is also "normal" I've been told. You can stop this by installing the CHUD tools off your restore disc and disabling CPU Nap via system preferences.

CHUD tools resets this setting on restart, so add the attached script to your startup to disable it on logging in, if you have the problem.

I haven't monitored it, but I've not noticed any temperature difference with napping disabled.

4. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Yes it is still under warranty, but i have just came back from the genius bar and they could not figure it out. I might have to send it in. I just hope they will fix it. I have had a similar problem with this on my IBM thinkpad...I dont think it is a hard drive issue, i think it could be the mother board or system board. Or...maybe the ram...i will do a few tests with that and see how it comes out. One thing i know for sure, if i restart it, it doesnt do it for about 15 minutes and then it starts back up again. ITS DRIVING ME INSANE!!! IT IS GIVING EVERYONE WHO USES IT HEADACHEs

5. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

yeah, mine chirps and it really bugs me.. for some reason if I put my processor on automatic, it doesn't do it.

6. andrewfee macrumors 6502

I just went and checked there, and mine is no longer doing it. After doing some quick testing, it seems that using the CHUD tools to disable cpu napping fixes this as well as the "buzzing" I was getting!

Setting the processor to automatic only makes it harder to hear; it's still there. (same with setting it to lowest)

If you do what I mentioned in my above post, then it should no longer be a problem. :D