friendster woes

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by slim, Mar 4, 2004.

1. slim macrumors newbie

Jan 21, 2004

sorry for the lightweight question but this is frustrating me. i've asked my friends and they are clueless as to what the problem might be. this is a complete mystery to me. if anyone can help me out or point me in the right direction i'd really appreciate it...

around the 27th or 28th i found that i couldn't fully log onto friendster. whenever i tried i would get the same log in page except the friendster menu would be at the top of the screen. but pressing "home" for instance would bring me back to the same login screen with the menu on top. the same thing occured when i switched to netscape from explorer.

almost a week later, i still can't get in but i can get in with no problem from other computers. i did a google search to try to find anyone else with the same problem and i found three people who this had happened to around the same time frame. is this a coincidence? i know that two of the people were in different countries. this is what the they wrote:

girl in singapore(feb 28th):

"Ok...enough of my silly wonderings liao...and for the past 2 days....I'm UNABLE to log into friendster....I MISS Friendster man haha.....;p Dunno what happened also...keep asking me to log in and log in....haiz...& the strange thing was Zarifah said that the last time I logged in was ToDaY!!! OMG!!! I did not even get to see my own friendster and they say I logged in liao....wat the....*sIgHs*.... Wah...*pEnGz*....I realli realli hope can log into friendster soon...I realli mIsS Friendster man haha....;p But most of my frens are able to sign into friendster except Dexter and one of his frens lor...haiz...y they can & we can't? Haiz...realli worried sia.....:("

a guy in the philippines, who in responding to an email i sent him, said that it was caused by a firewall his school had put up:

"Friday, February 27, 2004 :::
    Friendster seems to have been either fritzy lately, or Ateneo has finally ensured that the students can’t log into it through the school computers. Every time you enter your e-mail and password, you are then returned to the login screen after a while as though nothing happened.
    Thank goodness I’m not too hooked on it… Orkut is way better…"

this is from an exchange on a forum. i didn't get the page that he posted the link to, but the problem seemed similar and it happened around the same time as mine:

"Question Title: unable to log in friendster
    Author: matley
    Date: 02/28/2004 08:06AM PST
    Is this what you are
    looking for?
    If not, try our Search
    i was unable to log in friendster. after hitting enter key or clicking login button the browser will connect to this URL:
    after a few moment, the browser remains to friendster login page. pls. help.

Comment from sunray_2003
    Date: 02/28/2004 08:07AM PST
    Hi matley,
    Just check to see if you have your cookies enabled in your browser
    if you are using IE check this
    How to Manage Cookies in Internet Explorer 6;[LN];Q283185

Comment from matley
    Date: 02/28/2004 08:19AM PST
    Author Comment
    hello sunray,
    i have medium settings in my privacy settings. *just a few days ago i was still able to login, but not now.

Comment from sunray_2003
    Date: 02/28/2004 08:21AM PST
    OK try this
    delete temp internet files
    Make the cookies to be "Accept all cookies"
    Disable firewall or any pop-up blocker
    check if it would work
    Also make sure from your friends or co-workers that the website is working for them and that they are able to login.
    May be the server is down or something

Comment from matley
    Date: 02/28/2004 10:30AM PST
    Author Comment
    i did all the things you said. still no luck. i was able to login using other PC.

Comment from sunray_2003
    Date: 02/29/2004 04:16AM PST
    Try repairing IE
    Description of the Internet Explorer Repair Tool
    How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP
    Repair Internet Explorer 6"

i'm on os9.1 on a blue iMac 500mhz. i tried using my base extensions, didn't work. zapped my pram. unplugged my cable modem and plugged it back in. i don't really know where to start. i don't have any firewalls that i know of.

around the same time i got a nostromo n52 speedpad, (which by the way is great for photoshop) maybe it has something to do with that? i turned off the usb nostromo extension and the control panel for it, that didn't do anything.

anyway, if anybody out there who has had the same problem or has an idea of what could be going on any help would be greatly appreciated!

..people thinking i'm a jerk because they see i'm logged in but not approving the friend request...i'm not an addict but the fact that i can't get on from my own computer is driving me bananas.

thanks for reading,

2. tjwett macrumors 68000

May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    zapping your PRAM and using base extensions?

how about simply deleting your history, cookies, and cache? i'd give that a shot first. i can assure you it has nothing to do with any of your third-party peripherals or other software. for one thing, the friendster site sucks performance-wise. just sounds like a bad cache file or cookie to me. so go toss yer cookies and see what happens.
  3. slim thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 21, 2004
    bk to the fullest!!!!

HA HA HA! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!

it worked! thanks so much man, that was driving me crazy! beautiful.

i appreciate the help man! brooklyn is in the house! i'm from manhattan...have a great day, and may your metrocard sing.

now, why did i want to get onto friendster?