friggin car insurance

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by regre7, Jun 20, 2006.

1. regre7 macrumors 6502

Garrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am FURIOUS at car insurance companies. I'm not sure if it's like this outside the US (although I imagine it is), but males have to pay HIGHER rates for car insurance than females! I'm not sure if this applies to adults, but I know it does for teenagers. I've been angry about this for a long time, but I've finally constructed a counter-case.

Car insurance companies charge males more money for the same insurance, citing studies that show males are more likely to have accidents than females. Great. Now, imagine that we live in an ideal world for the sake of argument. What if airport security assigned a man to follow every Middle Eastern person in the building? When asked why, security would respond, "Well, we've got studies that prove Middle Easterners are more likely to commit terrorist attacks against the United States than [insert any race]." There would be outrage, because many Middle Easterners are fine people, and the group as a whole shouldn't be judged by the actions of a few.

I wish I could sue.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

hahahah this is a kinda funny pointless thread.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It is a form of legal, allowed discrimination. If there was some statistic out there that said something like Black people are more likely to get into car accidents (I know this isn't true, just using it as an idea), so insurance companies decided to charge black people more for insurance than white people, there would be hell to pay. That would be discrimination, but when it's between men and women, it's OK. Charging more for men is discrimination, plain and simple.

FWIW, it seems like everytime someone comes within an inch of hitting me, it's some soccer mom in an SUV, yapping on her cell phone, putting on makeup and trying to control her little brats in the backseat, all while driving.

4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Insurance companies have every conceivable angle figured, and they know, based on their incredibly complex actuarial tables, that your average dumb-ass male WILL have an accident at a rate of 132.320% more often than a female of almost ANY age except those past 85.2178.
    Numbers.
    Hell, it's how the past two elections were stolen. Powerful stuff.

5. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Of COURSE it isn't. They're not denying you the ability to purchase it. Same with, say, hats... or haircuts.

6. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Already a recent thread on this issue.

I think your analogy is weak.

Having to pay a higher rate on insurance is a minor annoyance over which the individual has control (safe driving will gradually bring rates down).

Racial/ethnic profiling (as following those of Middle Eastern descent into buildings) is an act of large scale social oppression that seeks to preclude individuals from a fundamental American standard: innocent until proven guilty.

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I was pissed about it for a long time too when I was 18. I was paying as much as my car payment every month ($290 back then). But at 24 I'm paying 150 a month for full coverage, and my car is paid off.

Just do us all a favor and get car insurance. Because if you hit me without it, it'll be your last accident. :)

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

In California once you pass the age of 25 your rates will drop dramatically and then they will be pretty much be the same as anyone else of that age. At that point its more what you drive and your driving record.

I believe 25 is the magic number for most states/insurance companies.

I'm male, 30, and i have 2 rather expensive cars with above average coverage's and low deductibles. My bill is around the same as Oni's.

Edit: here is a FAQ from an actual insurance company http://www.usaaedfoundation.org/insurance/ai07a.asp

Ed

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I pay 4 grand a year for insurance on a HYUNDAI, thanks to my age and the fact I have a penis. That's a bit more than a minor annoyance.

10. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

That's easy... lose the penis. :)

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How do I prove that to my insurance company though? Mail it to them? :D

I say I make it easier on myself and just mail them a fake, yet realistic looking one.

12. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

God, why is your insurance so high? We have state farm, I'm 16 and it's $724 every 6 months for BOTH my dad and my insurance...so like $1448 per year. This is in NY.

13. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

You need to change insurance companies man. My whole family pays less than that to be insured on 3 cars, and 2 of them (including my car) are 2 years old, and theyre all SUVs or trucks.

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

LOL :D Yes, make sure that you have insurance- because if you get in an accident and survive it, you may still not live for long if you hit someone without having coverage. ;) :D

But you have a point regre7, it sucks being a young male when it comes to paying auto insurance. :mad:

15. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

My insurance is is $190 a month for a 98 'scort and I'm 16. Just got her some new rims :D Gun metal racing wheels.. not chrome:p

16. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

$2,280 a year- does your insurance company have no heart! :eek:

Sometimes I can't help but think that auto insurance = highway robbery (quite literally). :rolleyes:

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The problem is, the car is a 2 door (Insurance companies consider anything with 2 doors a sports car, even though my car is by no means powerful) and I had 1 at-fault accident when I was 17. Trust me, I've looked at other companies, but every quote I've gotten was probably within $100 of what I have now from AAA. Wouldn't be worth it to switch. I just have to hope ins drops when I turn 21 next year (AAA says it should). Plus, my parents have been with AAA for nearly 30 years, so we have guaranteed coverage. As long as we pay, they won't drop us for any reason.

Besides, my parents pay for my car insurance :D

18. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Ah, yeah its that at fault accident screwin you over there, that sucks, they should give you some break, its been like 3 years. $4k is killer though(especially with gas prices). Itll drop when you turn 21 for sure, hopefully itll be bigger than the $100 drop I got when I turned 18. My parents have my insurance too, so long as I stay in college, grad schoo, etc.

19. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

There was a bit on the television a few days ago, maybe the local news or one of those Dateline-type programs, that reported some insurance companies were charging different rates based on one's profession.

A non-exhaustive list of factors that determine your insurance premium in no particular order:
    your vehicle
    where you live (urban vs rural)
    driving record (duh)
    credit score (lower FICO = higher premiums)
    criminal record (DUIs, etc)
    vehicle's safety features (ABS, anti-lock brakes, anti-theft devices)
    amount of deductible (hint: the higher the better)
    if a student, your grades

20. Timepass macrumors 65816

Umm you are wrong on that part. They dont consider it a sports car because it is a 2 door. My Brother car is a 2 door accord and not consider a sports car by our insurance company, nor is my sister 2 door cobalt. While my 4 door Sentra SE-R Spec V is consider a sports car (I add the full name to explain it only the SE-R and Spec V that can get that rating).

like they dont really charge more for red cars over other colors. The reason red cars on average have a high insurance is red cars on average get more tickets because they are easier to see and stand out more. And that means the cops are more likely to see your car when you are doing something wrong.

But dude you shouldnt be paying that much. Heck even my brother who totaled his car about 6 months ago and has a ticket on his record is not paying that much. He about 220-240 a month on a 2006 accord full coverage.

As for charging more for guys they are right. Guys are the ones more likely to get in wrecks and to get tickets. They are the one more likely to speed and do stupid stuff on the road. I not going to deny that I dont do my far share of stupid stuff. I drive a Spec V or basicly one of the ecobox sports cars everyone is making. I drive hard and I have a few turns I drift in from time to time. why because I am a guy.

As for my record is clean. I think I am at 140 a month (dont pay it parents do) but I have several discounts on it.

Also people dont cheap out and try to go no insureance you hit some one like me, first I am going to call the cops so I can have the police report to hand over to my insurance complany so they will pay for my repairs and bills. And I had over the right to sue to them. And they will sue you and go after you for the money and lets face it they have more money and better laywers than you are ever going to be able to get. Most people care Uninsureded/Underinsured coverage on there policy (translate my insurence will cover my bill if your cannt and then go after you for the money)

21. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Seems to me your rate is far more rooted in your at-fault accident than in your gender/age?

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This is probably because your dad is the primary policy holder and you are a rider on his policy.

23. haiggy macrumors 65816

I was talking to somebody the other day with a 2 year old Dodge car.. not sure the model. He's been in 2 accidents (1 not his fault) and violated his license once..... his insurance is $875/month CAN. That is CRAZY :eek:

24. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

But i would rather see the insurance company make him and others like him that are more accident & moving violation prone pay more rather than passing the costs off to responsible drivers.

Pay up, you want to drive you pay the costs, remember Driving Is a Privelage, NOT A RIGHT. But it seems like a lot of the kids here have parents that pay the tab, I sure wish it was like that when i was 16....

Ed

25. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

If you can get married and buy a house, that will help. Although you're a little young for both!

Not sure how true it is anymore, but if you don't have insurance in YOUR name, when you get your own policy, you won't have any insurance history and you're liable to pay higher rates again.