Frist backs stem cell bill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Royal Pineapple, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/29/p...7f268f2f13d8d9&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

3. Trowaman macrumors 6502a

Trowaman

Republican Senators Frist, Specter, Hatch, Chaffee.

49 down, 18 more needed for veto proof fun.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I suppose Frist is finally noticing the polls on this issue.

If Bush fulfills his promise and vetoes the stem cell bill, against the support of his party's Senate majority leader, that would indeed be interesting (and more evidence that Bush is quacking up).

5. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

As much as I like the sentiment, I'm glad you're not working up Senate vote counts for the minority whip. It takes 60 votes to break a filibuster, not 67. ;)

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And there goes Frist's chances for a shot at the presidency. If his inability to produce on filibuster elimination didn't kill it, this did. He has been positioning himself on the social right, and they will not be happy about this decision at all.

7. Trowaman macrumors 6502a

Trowaman

Oy, my bad, not filibuster, veto. Veto is still 67 as far as I know and there should be no cloture vote on this one.

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

No problem, I'm just being picky. ;)

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And not surprising, considering Frist doesn't really respect life at all.

Meanwhile, Tom DeLay declares a Frist candidacy deader than any cat unlucky enough to be adopted by the Frist household.

10. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Hopefully...

This may be just the beginning:

GOP'ers in Congress are starting to wake up to the fact that W's political career is over after this term but their careers might continue if they can get re-elected.

What does that mean?

They're realizing that they need to give a **** about what real Americans think rather than putting on blinders, ignoring polls/reports/science/ethics/world opinion/reality/etc. and chanting "stay the course" over and over.

Now, if only a couple of brave GOP'ers would stand up and say, "Hey, stabbing the CIA's WMD program in the back is treason and that's wrong." Maybe tomorrow.