Frist Set to Use Religious Stage on Judicial Issue

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 15, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wow. Such a blatantly dishonest use of faith, you almost expect a bolt of lightning to come down and strike Frist, Perkins and their kind.

You know, I've been saying for a while that the Democrats need to work with mainstream faiths. The Conference of Catholic Bishops years ago issued a relatively famous letter that condemned wars such as the one in Iraq. Christianity as a whole endorses helping the poor, separation of church and state, condemnation of usury, and a lot of other liberal positions. True, liberals and churches tend to disagree on abortion, but on the whole there are more similarities than differences.

I think Democrats need to form relationships with the American representatives of the main faiths -- Catholic, Methodist, Episcopal, Lutheran, etc. -- and ask to work with them on these kinds of issues...not because the Democrats should follow the Republican "faith-based" model, but because the clergy can be powerful allies, because we often share common goals, and because if we don't, the GOP will continue to use religion as a tool of political manipulation. We need to have our own allies among people of faith who will stand up and say that the GOP is misrepresenting what Christianity is and what it stands for.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

IOW, we need to cultivate a religious left to counterbalance the American Taliban.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I say, "go for it!" Sen. Frist. It's your political funeral. Trying to define all religious Americans as socially conservative Republican Christians is bound to offend everybody else -- and fail. It should be clear by now: that big Republican tent is now suitable for backpacking.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Some have been thinking about this. A number of years ago I read Steven Carter's book "The Culture of Disbelief," which IIRC, addressed this issue. He's essentially a liberal Christian who is concerned with the growing gap between religion and liberalism, which he blames partially on liberals and partially on conservatives.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I believe the appropriate phrasing it "Bring it on, Sen. Frist!"

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, what's up with that? I know lots of Christians who are in the middle or left of center, but they continue to let these fools represent them. Come on guys! Get it together and stop these people! We need you!