From 2.5 to 2.7 G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Sca1pel, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Sca1pel macrumors regular

Apr 9, 2005
    I curently have a dual 2.5 and am wondering what you all think of going up two hrz to 2.7. I can sell my g5 right now to have enough for the same model with a difrent video card. I curently have the 6800 to run my 30 in cinema. Should I sell my 2.5 and get the 2.7 with a smaller card and faster processor? Im just doing high photo editing.
  2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    I doubt you will need it - the main feature that will be selling them is the 16x Dual Layer Superdrives and standard 250 GB HDs. The video: The same. The processor: + .2 (x2). The RAM - the same.

Only switch from the 2.5 to the 2.7 IF:

You need to burn big DVDs, FAST.
    You need a bigger hard drive than the one you currently have.

You can switch over for the Hell of it also, but a Dual 2.5 with 8x SuperDrive and 160 GB HD is a lot as-is.
  3. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    I truly TRULY would NOT bother. It's like the difference between an iMac G4 700 and an iMac G4 800. LOL.
  4. 840quadra Moderator

Staff Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Twin Cities Minnesota
    the FSB is Slightly quicker also on the 2.7, and since your system is established and in use, you may as well use it and wait for the next revision to come out.
  5. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

Jan 2, 2004
    The Northlands
  6. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Think about it this way: Going up by 200 mHz X 2 is like adding 50 Mac 512s!

Who are you kidding? You WANT it... you NEED it... you DESERVE it!

Can you really live with the notion that someone, somewhere, has a computer that is eight percent FASTER than yours? If you don't get the 2.7, you will no longer be able to attract women. Your "hipness" factor will fall by at least 20 points.

Frankly, I'm not sure you're cool enough to OWN a 2.7 if you have this many doubts about it.

(True words from a true iBook owner ;) )
  7. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    Oh first it was blindingly obvious to me that going from 2.5 to 2.7 wouldn't be worth the bother, but when you put it THAT way...yikes! Anyone want a dual 2.5GHz G5? Good price! Heck, I'll give it away if I have to! I MUST save my hipness factor!

8. minimax macrumors 6502

Feb 9, 2005
    I agree. if you want it, you need it. With a bit of luck you'll notice you cant keep up with the speed of browsing the internet too. I heard the 2x2.7 is able to process much more dataflow then you could possibly read.