From 2 to 3GHz in 12 months?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Panther 970, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Panther 970 macrumors newbie

Steve jobs said that we will be at 3GHz in 12 months. Theoretically speaking, if you divide 12 months into 1000MHz that comes out to an average increase of 83.25MHz/month in clock speed! And that's just for this year only; if we put Moore's law into perspective, that rate will have to only increase after these first 12 months. I'm not sure what the average increase per month has been from Motorola since they cut their R&D, but I'd have to say that 83.25MHz/month is a very BIG improvement. Thank you IBM and Apple! :D :D :D

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's a huge improvement, but don't look at from a MHz point of view, but percentage - basically its getting 50% faster in one year. Still very nice.

I'm wondering if this is also taking into account a smaller fab process....;)

Good things ahead for Apple, that's for sure.

D

3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

You said it.

Exactly. I think the PowerMac is great... however, I am MUCH MUCH more excited about the future. Another Ghz in a year, they already have prototypes of the next processors... It's like were' part of a special club now... a club that can get the newest technology right away. Thanks Apple for ending your relationship with Motorola, thanks IBM for picking up where Motorola left off. This is going to be a BEAUTIFUL partnership... :) :) :)

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

some on the pc side may be skeptical about apple making the world's fastest personal computer

but for sure, apple has the only 64 bit processor for a home based machine on the market! so for once, apple is the leader and innovator after having trailed the pc world for years

but i fear apple's laurels will not last long when the pc world gets the athlon 64 at the end of the year...remember that some of the world's fastest benchmarks are with AMD's current athlon 3000+

so in that regard, apple better have a 3 ghz g5 in 12 months because by then athlon 64 will be above 4 ghz and it will be hard to convice the shopper to buy a 64 bit apple machine at 3 ghz when the pc world will have a 4 ghz+ athlon 64 machine

the only way to convice the average joe that apple has the fastest machine is to have the highest clock speed

for once the 64 bit world of the future for home based computers will be battled out between macs and pcs with athlon 64s...intel will not be in the picture this year

but come 2004, i am sure intel will have a backwards compatible 64 but processor, and in a price range that will compete heavily with IBMs and AMDs desktop home computer offerings

the war is not over yet and we should always expect macs to be faster and faster until we have matched clockspeed, not benchmarks (they are too skewed)

5. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Of topic, but...

Hey jethatfield, are you going to change your avatar now that the G5 is out?

P-Worm

6. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I'll beleive the 3.0 GHZ in 12 months when I see one next June. Until then, I will assume that time tables will slip.

Hope springs eternal, however...

7. dynamicd macrumors 6502

I think Apple finally has their act together and IBM definitely knows what they're doing. If they make new chips that means more people buy computers which equals more money for apple and IBM.

8. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i agree; good things!
    i rememeber a while back you said you were thinking about buying a rev. a 970. did this roadmap make you think twice?

i'm still holding out for rev b, but i may as well wait for the first speed bumps.

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

since apple has called the ppc 970/power 4 class of processors from ibm a "G5", i will keep the avatar even though it's actually a modified motorola G4 that Mr. Anderson made up for me and called it the G5

i will change the avatar when apple turns out the "G6" or whatever they decide to call the next generation processor for the high end macs

10. Panther 970 thread starter macrumors newbie

4GHz within 18 months?

I'm betting that after 12 months the rate of increase in clock speed will double to 166.5MHz/month. This is consistent with Moore's law that clock speeds should double every 18-24 months. If this happens that will put us at 4GHz within 18 months. That would be December 2004 and just in time for Xmas! :D

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

doesnt apple's xcode allow programmers to convert 32nit to 64bit in a matter of minutes. if so, will the pc have anythign that can compare to this when athlon 64 is out or will all coders have to go through messy code which may not be worth it.

iJon

12. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Well I think if apple claims 1 GHZ increase in A year apple will follow through, mostly because apple doesn't want to dis-appoint.

Apple is serious about the next chip tho.
    Since The 980 has already been talked about.

13. ouketii macrumors regular

3 ghz in a year, while amd/intel will be at 4 ghz by end of year...

14. adamfilip macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

okay in 12 months

we will have a g5 @ 3ghz

a new P4 at lets say 4.1 ghz

so right now we have dual 2ghz g5s which equal 4ghz of crunching power
    thats close to the current top of the line p4 at 3.2 ghz

next year we will have dual 3ghz g5's againt a p4 thats at 4.1

so 6ghz vs 4 hmmm sounding better isnt it.

and keep going in

24 montht

new G5 (based on 980 core) running at 4.5ghz x 2 = 9ghz
    versus the current p4 (or p5 by then) running at lets say 6ghz

that doesnt sound bad to me

15. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Where was it officially stated what clock speed the Athlon 64 will run at?

And since when did Intel make inexpensive high end CPUs?

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You seem to be missing a rather large point...64bit! Yes, Intel will atleast (maybe) be @ 4GHz, but it will still be 32bit. As for AMD being @ 4Ghz, I can't quite see it. They're still only in the upper 2's with the latest 3200+, going up by well over 1GHz in 6 months will be somewhat pushing it.

17. reflex macrumors 6502a

Converting from 32bit to 64bit can be really easy if you've written your code with that in mind. If you haven't, it can be hell, regardless of help from a conversion tool. I don't think the transition to 64bit will be more difficult or easier on either platform.

18. rampel macrumors newbie

2GB --> 3GB, much more important is

IMHO a much more important factor for the overall speed of the machine is: How many apps will be re-coded for 64bit access (including of course the OS itself)

As far as I understand it if you code a certain app for 64 bit access - it will run on a 2Ghz 970 processor at the same speed as a 32 bit app on a (G4) 4Ghz processor

Right or wrong?

19. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Intel is meant to move to 64bit with the P5 that should be released around Christmas. However the P5 will not be very fast in terms of megahertz, but will be more like other chips; doing more per clock than the P4. The P5 is meant to start at around the 2Ghz mark, but be faster than the P4 3.2Ghz.

20. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

www.tomshardware.com said that the Athlon 64 will start at 1.8Ghz, but be as fast as a 3Ghz P4.

21. Bear macrumors G3

Re: 2GB --> 3GB, much more important is

How fast the application runs depends on the actual application. Take something like iChat (text only) it won't get any real speed improvement by being re-coded for 64-bit therefore leaving it as a 32-bit application could save some system resources.

On the other hand, something lik Photoshop which manipulates a large amount of data can get an incredible speed boost by being recoded/recompiled as a 64-bit app.

It all depends on the applcatin and what type of data manipulation it is doing.

In truth, how well 64-bit applications work will depend on how well the code generation and optimization in GCC works for the IBM 970. Generally compilers improve over time, so things that come out of GCC 3.4 will probably be better than the code produced by GCC 3.3. However, the actual benefits of the newer compiler will still be determined by the application being compiled.

22. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I'm not so sure about this. Intel has slown down their pumping out of faster chips. I think they've hit some kind of road block. Earlier this year they came out with the 3.06 GHz P4 and six months later are coming out with the 3.2 GHz P4. The next processor family (especially if it's 64 bit) will probably start out at a lower clock speed so I highly doubt Intel will be at 4 Ghz in a year.

Although there is some debate on the G5's performance against the new Xeons and P4's, it smokes the intel processors at the same clock speed. So all the Doubting Thomas's that say "well intel may be at 4 GHz" need to know that it might not matter anymore.

As for Prescot and Opteron, they both sound like G5 rumors to me... I'll believe the performance when I see it. Because Itanium still isn't what they wanted it to be.

23. adamfilip macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

i think intel can prob bring out a 4ghz p4 soon if it needed too
    but since AMD is so far behind in regards to mhz.. there is no need for intel to push itself when its so far ahead (in mhz) already

its cheaper to sell what they know they can make in higher yields then push up faster chip and lower there yields

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

if the 980 is ready in less than 2 years time.... would apple use it and call it a g6? or would they just call it a g5+ or whatever...? i would imagine it's a big enough deal to change it to g6, but wonder if it's worth it after what appears like it will be a relatively short time....

25. rampel macrumors newbie

G5 / G6

Excuse me but, what the ∂ does it matter what it will be called?

The important will be what it will be able to do