From Adobe Premiere to Final Cut Pro!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Madhawk, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Madhawk macrumors regular

Madhawk

Hi there!

I've been editing with Premiere and Matrox on a PC for about 3 years now.
    Mainly weddings and event projects. I've gotten to the point that I am tired of all the instability problems that I experience with Adobe and Matrox.

I have been thinking of switching over from PC to mac pro, from Premiere to Final Cut Pro 6 (When released) and from Windows XP to Leopard (When released).

How much of a difference or learning curve will it be from Premiere to FCP?

How stable is editing on FCP compared to Adobe Premiere?

Thanks for the input. ;)

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Premiere For Mac Is Coming Back

May be zero if you buy the next version of Premiere that will be made for the Mac again.

3. martin07 macrumors newbie

Premiere Vs Final Cut Pro

How much of a difference or learning curve will it be from Premiere to FCP?

How stable is editing on FCP compared to Adobe Premiere?

I started out working with Premiere (4.0 my first version now 6.2) and a matrox rt2500 card which made premiere RT (Real Time).

Now I'm on a mac G5 loaded with all the extras (dual processors, 4 gigs ram, 5 terabytes storage server).

the learning curve for me was 1 day. I had a project that had to be done that evening. I set-up the G5 out of the box, loaded software and had a 15 minute video done that evening.

Most keyboard short cuts are the same, the time line, importing and capturing all very similar.

adjusting audio volume is the only really different thing about them, on premiere you do it on the time line, in fcp you double click on the clip in the timeline that you want to adjust and it opens it up in preview for rubber band style fine tuning.

Performance wise the mac blows away my pc. rendering times, multi-tasking: I can capture footage on fcp, make my titles in live type and render them, be online, check e-mail, and burn a DVD at the same time.

as far as pc crashing, the mac hardly ever has a hick-up vs. my pc with the matrox with that machine I save my work often because you never know when the machine is going to get pissed off and get stuck. Once it freezes I have to turn the power button off and re-start windows. On the mac, only FCP gets upset and you have a force quit feature that terminates the stuck program. I edit 8 hours a day 5 days a week, on average it's gotten stuck on me maybe once or twice per month and it's usually because I constantly have to switch settings from DV firewire to Composite using an AJA box and having FCP running while I do it makes it upset.

Making DVD's is a simpler process, the live type titler works pretty good and simple to take a template and tweek it to fit your needs.

animating and matting is much better than premier's

anyway, I was sold after the first day. we now have 3 G5's and 4 PowerMac edit bays.

Hope this helps.

Martin

4. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

The learning curve wasn't big for me. I learned it in a day or 2, I had to get used to the interface and I was set. Everything is VERY similar.

As far as stability goes, I haven't really had any problems with Final Cut randomly quiting on me. Saving often is habit you must have or else you can find yourself making up an entire night of editing because you decided to rarely save.

5. Davowade macrumors regular

I hated premiere so much that I started EDIT in after effects.

But now I am back with my beloved FCP :D

EDIT: This may be a little simplistic but here is a how-to that may clear up some differences.

http://www.rice.edu/fondren/dmc/howto/fcp.html

6. techster85 macrumors regular

actually, you don't have to open up the audio in preview to adjust with the "rubberbands" you can click the toggle down at the bottom left of the timeline and then it is pretty much just like Premier, I made the jump from Adobe two years ago and I'll never go back, don't be intimidated, it's basically the same ideas and processes, they just might be in a different menus or box...

7. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Right now I'm editing a student film with another person in one of my classes. He uses Adobe Premiere, I use Final Cut. We're using my Mac for the project, so we're using Final Cut. The first thing he said when I opened it up for the first time was, "Wow, this looks exactly like Premiere."

He already knows how to use Final Cut very well, and we've not even two full days of editing yet.

8. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Deadline March 19 To Get Final Cut Studio 5.1UB For $199

What version of Final Cut? Deadline is Monday to postmark a 4/4.5 Academic install DVD with $199 for the Full Commercial Upgradable FCS 5.1UB you know?