From DP 1.8GHz G5 to 1GHz Powerbook

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by FinnishFlash, Apr 18, 2004.

1. FinnishFlash macrumors newbie

I've discovered that I don't need this much speed. The G5 is an incredible machine and I've only used it's full potential once - and that was just testing it's cababilities.

So I put it up for sale yesterday and today I got offered to trade it to an 17" Powerbook (1 GHz version). It's one year old and is in it's original state (no added ram etc).

So what do you guys think - should I ask for money or trade head to head? My comp is as follows:

- DP 1.8GHz G5
    - 1.5 Gb RAM
    - 160 Gb harddrive
    - Radeon 9600Pro
    - Bluetooth
    - Combo (CD-RW/DVD)
    - 17" Studio Display (CRT !!, not a TFT)

And how is the Powerbook speedwise? Any games playable? (American Army, Medal Of Honor?)

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Honestly I'd see if I could get a PowerBook + at least $200 if not more from somone, thats just my opinion though.

3. spookykids macrumors member

spookykids

not worth it...

you would be giving away alot more than you would be getting back...

4. FinnishFlash thread starter macrumors newbie

But I'm going to sell this computer and buy another one in it's place. And I've always wanted a Powerbook... Damn. This is hard.

How much is the Powerbook worth these days?

5. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

6. FinnishFlash thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got an offer for 2700 euros right now.

7. dragula53 macrumors regular

I'd sell it

and buy a 12" powerbook
    portables are supposed to be.. portable.

and save some bucks

buy yourself another G5 desktop later, when you realize a laptop really can't be a desktop replacement.

but at least you will have both, and will have saved some money.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

that would be a *horrible* trade for you. Especially when the new 17" comes out tomorrow or tuesday. He's offering an un-upgraded, 1 (soon to be 2) generation old machine for a significantly upgraded (above stock config.) current model. Your machine sells for $2500 without upgrades. A brand new, significantly improved current 17" PB sells for $3000. His PB, used and an old model, would be worth less than your PM even if there were no upgrades involved. Considering your extra RAM, upgraded video card, and upgraded HD, there's absolutely no way you should take this deal without a significant amount of cash from him. And if you wait 1-2 days, that PB will drop in value even more.

9. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Why do you want to trade? Do you need the portability? IMO, you can never have too much power. There's no point in getting rid of your Power Mac because it is "too fast". I mainly use my PowerBook for low power stuff like Word and email but I would rather not swap out the 1GHz G4 for a 300Mhz G3.