iPad mini From iPad 2 --> iPad Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jafingi, Nov 3, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

jafingi

I was at the shopping mall today, and in front of one of the stores, I saw a big banner with "We have the new iPad Mini". So I just wanted to try it in the store, but the moment I had it in my hand, I was totally sold!

So... I got the last iPad Mini in store (16GB WiFi).. I can't really describe the feeling.. There's something about the Mini that just feels so right.

My iPad 2 feels heavy, thick and big, after having played with the Mini for an hour and going back to the iPad 2 I almost dropped it as it was heavier than I had thought :D

The screen of the Mini is definitely better than my iPad 2. They both have the "cold" screen which I prefer the most, but the brightness of the Mini's screen is far better than my iPad 2 - white is more white!

When the iPad 3 came out, and I compared it to iPad 2, I didn't think the screens were so different (retina vs. non-retina) - definitely not worth the pricey upgrade. The Mini comes just in between. I would almost call it retina. Text looks super crisp!

So now I'm just waiting for my red SmartCover.. Apple has screwed up with the Danish launch, so no of the shops have gotten any SmartCovers, but they should arrive early next week. So no need for waiting a week on shipping from the Apple Store :)

It's so nice that you can hold the Mini in one hand, and control it with the other. A thing that was hard with the iPad 2.

This simply makes Android tablets (e.g. Nexus 7) look totally cheap and awkward to use.

Well done :apple:!

2. macrumors 6502

I got the iPad 2 as well and knowing the screen on Mini is the same is really no biggie. The retina compared to iPad 2 really wasn't worth the upgrade for me. A lot of people complaints about the Mini's display being poor and what not, but it's actually great. I haven't bough one (yet) since I already got an iPad, but used one in a store yesterday and it felt great!

3. macrumors 6502

johnparjr

I went from a 3 to a Mini and I really like the Mini:)

4. macrumors 6502a

Poochi

After seeing the mini, on display iPad 4 looks old... Thick and ugly bezel.

5. macrumors regular

jarofclay73

The iPad Mini is definitely light -- almost like a piece of cardboard. Still love my iPad 3 though.

6. macrumors 68030

Keep reading here and even it's ok now, you'll hate it tomorrow and curse apple for making you buy it....LOL

7. macrumors 6502

LOL!!!!! Yeah, in an hour or so you won't even be able to read text on it anymore.....

8. macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Yea I never picked up the 3 because I was waiting for some smaller, more compact for my commuting life. Not being accustomed to the retina screen is definitely a plus.

Now whether to keep the AT&T preorder or swap it out for the Verizon.

9. macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

It's worse than that, it causes sudden blindness to some who use it, just read the various threads on here. These poor people were duped into buying it without having tried it in store, took it home and lo' and behold, blindness took effect when they tried reading a few web pages. :eek:

10. thread starter macrumors 65816

jafingi

By the way.. Does anyone know why Apple has shifted the mute/up/down buttons to the right instead of the left?

Edit:

Maybe because you'll be holding it in your left hand?

11. macrumors 6502

The smart cover attaches to the left side so it opens up like a book right to left.

12. macrumors 603

kas23

That's a skeuomorphism! Must be changed!

13. thread starter macrumors 65816

jafingi

Damn yeah! Haven't thought about the smart cover hinge being to large for the buttons to be there.. :p

14. macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

My sentiments, exactly. Ditto for me :D

15. macrumors regular

ifraaank

I know that they have the SmartCovers in Eplehuset in Esbjerg. Were in the store at launch date, and they had all of the colors.

Quite nice to see other people from Denmark in here. :D

16. macrumors regular

The mini is definitely a considerable step up from our old iPad 2.

Battery is also awesome. 4 hours use and 13% drop.

17. macrumors regular

I bought the iPad Mini but I still really like my iPad 2 with 3G. I guess I'm just more used to it since I've had it awhile. I'm still debating whether or not I'll keep the Mini.

18. macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

Hasn't the mute and volume always been on the right? Or at least starting with iPad 2?

19. macrumors member

Sweeperdk

Just a tip, being danish with a new iPad Mini myself.... Eplehuset (at least in Aarhus) have plenty of smart covers... I got the red one myself on friday.

Other than that, I can nothing but agree in your review.

20. macrumors 68000

nospleen

What brightness are you setting your display at? Thanks!

21. macrumors regular

I've got it at its "dullest" setting but still find it very good.

22. macrumors 6502

Lmaoo

23. jafingi, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

thread starter macrumors 65816

jafingi

On full brightness:

Use: 1 hour 20 min
    Standby: 6 hours 38 min

89% left :D love it!

----------

Eplehuset must have been lucky. Tried Humac, Fona, Elgiganten and Expert. No smart covers. Unfortunately we don't have Eplehuset in Odense :(

24. macrumors regular

ifraaank

Oh well...

Still considering an iPad mini or an iPad 4. Currently having an iPad 2. I would like to upgrade.. Which "upgrade" do you prefer? :)

25. macrumors member

Sweeperdk

For me personally, the iPad Mini...

This is due to the formfactor, but also due to my personal needs... I don't game much, I use it for social media, news and so on.

The regular sized iPad I sold due to the fact that it didn't suit me... I purchased it to bring it with me everywhere, however I found myself grabbing my MBA instead, since the size was not that much bigger...

The Mini, on the other hand, fits in my coat pocket