Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applelover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Bath UK
hi, i have just got a new 17"powerbook and was wondering if anyone knew the best way to move all of my iphoto images/albums and saved emails from entourage from my old 15"powerbook to the new one?

thanks for any help

jay :confused:

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
applelover said:
hi, i have just got a new 17"powerbook and was wondering if anyone knew the best way to move all of my iphoto images/albums and saved emails from entourage from my old 15"powerbook to the new one?

thanks for any help

When you turn on your 17"-er for the first time, it should ask you if there are any files/settings you want to transfer.
Plug the two computers in via firewire when it tells ya to, and it'll to it's thing.

It's reason #20398 to love your Mac. :D :D

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
applelover said:

thanks for any help

Although I've never done this. You can connect to Macs via Firewire. As for setting it up, I wouldn't imagine it very difficult (its OSX!). But its a practical suggestion for moving a large amount of data. Ethernet if all else fails, just be sure to use a cross-over cable, and not a patch.

applelover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Bath UK
thanks for your replys guys, i have used a fire wire but not for a very long time, do i have to hold down the "T" key on one of the macs for it to work? i cant remember!

jay :)

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
applelover said:
thanks for your replys guys, i have used a fire wire but not for a very long time, do i have to hold down the "T" key on one of the macs for it to work? i cant remember!

yup, if you want to boot the old one as a firewire drive, but since the 17 is new, why didn't it prompt you to do it when you first set it up?

*confused* :confused: :confused:

applelover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Bath UK
hey katie
thanks for all the help, the reason i havent done it yet is because i havent got it yet, dosent come till monday (cant wait!!!) i'm just sorting out my 15" so i know what i want to move to the 17" and what i dont, but i was more worried about not being able to move all my emails over from MS Entourage as i need them for work.

Just read at the bottom of your page that you have an apple bluetooth mouse and keyboard, i'm thinking about getting them aswell, whats the battery life like on them?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
applelover said:
hey katie
thanks for all the help, the reason i havent done it yet is because i havent got it yet, dosent come till monday (cant wait!!!) i'm just sorting out my 15" so i know what i want to move to the 17" and what i dont, but i was more worried about not being able to move all my emails over from MS Entourage as i need them for work.

Just read at the bottom of your page that you have an apple bluetooth mouse and keyboard, i'm thinking about getting them aswell, whats the battery life like on them?

OH!!! that's the situation!!
DUDE! Just keep using your PowerBook. When you get your new, shiny, perfect, huge, beautiful 17" PB, just turn on the new PB, and you'll get the nifty "this is the first time this mac has been turned on/tiger intro" movie. Then, you'll get the setup screens. One of them says something about transferring files and settings. It basically clones your HD. You don't have to worry about reinstalling, finding your serial numbers, yada yada yada. It's AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
It also transfers your keychain! :) :)
I love Macs!!

the BT KB and mouse are totally awesome!
They're so easy to set up!
I like to hook up my PB to the TV, then use the bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I have a sweet 36" monitor. It's great for watching episodes of Systm or thebroken or the scene (welcometothescene.com) <-- the scene is pretty cool. It's a fictionalization about people who put pirated movies on the internet. Really interesting! check it out! :) :)

applelover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Bath UK
thanks katie!
sounds like another great idea from apple! thas gonna save me loads of time!
i'll have to go and look at that website, sounds interesting!

i'll let you know how i get on!

take it easy

mintlivedotcom

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
Can I hook two macs up via firewire and still copy applications over? I have a couple that need the disc, but I can't find them in all my clutter.

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
converted

haha i wish doing all that from my pc to my mac was as easy lol...oh well i guess that is what i get for gettin a pc in the first place! but now, i am a changed man...

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
mintlivedotcom said:
Can I hook two macs up via firewire and still copy applications over? I have a couple that need the disc, but I can't find them in all my clutter.

When you buy new mac, the option described above should copy all your apps and preferences as well. I have heard that there are a few apps that will request your startup disk, but I haven't encountered that -- Dreamweaver, Fireworks, MS office, Photoshop, Quicken, all worked fine.

If you just use the Firewire transfer mode, you can copy files over, but I think that some apps may be difficult to copy that way.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
GimmeSlack12 said:
Ethernet if all else fails, just be sure to use a cross-over cable, and not a patch.

Actually you can use nearly any CAT-3/5/5e/6 cable to connect anything to a Mac for any reason since 1998. They now use auto-sensing ethernet chips that allow for a more versatile use of the system. It is also quite cheaper than buying a crossover cable.

As for Firewire, you could use target disk mode, or you can use Firewire as Ethernet. Just hook the systems up, set one to share its internet connection over Firewire (Even if you are not connected to the internet) and Bob's your Uncle you are networked. Just run the transfer Utility in the Utilities folder inside the Applications Folder and have at it.

TEG

crachoar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Ohio
Reboot, Apple + T. Mount the drive, browse, take what you need, eject.

That's the way I've always done it...

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
wrxguy said:
haha i wish doing all that from my pc to my mac was as easy lol...oh well i guess that is what i get for gettin a pc in the first place! but now, i am a changed man...

There are programs that do that for you...
but you're probably over needing to do that by now. :) :)

(it does USB, install some stuff, yada yada yada, hooray!)

AlmightyG5

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
What if i don't want to transfer all my apps when i first boot up my new iMac i'm getting. Say i just want to copy a few apps and thats it...not my whole HD and prefs...

Ogre55

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2005
I found it was better to set up the computer with a new acount rather than importing an old user. After you are set up restart the old computer in target mode which then causes it to pop as hardrive icon on your desktop of your ned computer. Here is the link to apple's support page on all of this

http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n58583

Hope this helps and hasn't already been posted

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
AlmightyG5 said:
What if i don't want to transfer all my apps when i first boot up my new iMac i'm getting. Say i just want to copy a few apps and thats it...not my whole HD and prefs...

Same question here. I'm getting a new iBook pretty soon and I want to do this, but my Powermac is kinda cluttered and I need to transfer some apps, mail messages, etc, but don't want the clutter of all my junk...

I have an external HD, so maybe I'll just use the installers I've put on there and my disks and start from scratch, I really like clean computers.

Would still like an answer to this question, though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.