From Macbook 1.83Ghz-1GB ram to 20" stock iMac.......Any pointers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LionsKiss, Sep 13, 2006.

1. LionsKiss macrumors member

Going to buy 20" stock iMac instead of a macbook 1.83Ghz-1GB

Prices in GBP (w/ Edu)
    Macbook with 2x512 DDr + BT keyboard = 800
    iMac 20" w/ 2x512 DDr + BT keyboard + MM = 930

I just gave away my Toshiba Tablet PC m200 to my mom as I was going for a new laptop from Apple. However, I have realised that I don't need a laptop. (or not badly enough to get a laptop with an "old" arc cpu)

Any notes I will do, will most likely be notes I write onto hand outs. And if the dorms are too loud for work, I can always go to the library and write out the essay by hand and just type it out when I am back in the dorms.

So for the extra cash, and lack of mobility I get a 20" with a good resolution, the Core 2 Duo CPU at higher frequency, and a much bigger HDD. Can't wait to go the UK and order this baby =). This toy will also help me to wait out Merom/Whatever next cpu Macbooks will have =)

Should I get the .Mac? What do you guys use it for?

Will go with the Nano 2GB: Just £19 after rebate

2. Mundy macrumors regular

I think you've made a wise choice. I had a Titanium PowerBook G4 during college, and honestly, it didn't see enough use to justify the price I paid for it. More often than not, I could use the desktop PC in my dorm room for both school-related stuff and fun stuff. (It was an AMD Athlon "Thunderbird" 1.4 GHz. I built it myself, and it was the fastest computer on the hall for a nice long time.)

I took class notes on my laptop for one semester, and then decided that it was too cumbersome. Mobility is great (and in spite of my Mac Pro, I also have a MacBook), but money is precious when you're a student.

Enjoy that iMac. I just sold a 20" iMac Core Duo to help fund my Mac Pro. It was a great machine, and I miss it.

3. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

I am probably going to settle on the following myself:

2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    250GB Serial ATA Drive
    ATI Radeon X1600/128MB VRAM
    SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Apple Wireless Keyboard & wireless Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English)
    20-inch widescreen LCD
    AirPort Extreme
    Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

$1836 + Tax US

---------------------------------

I am currently going through the Notebook/Desktop delima.

In my eudcated decision, I felt that mobility probably isn't a key issue for me. Yeah, it's nice to take a notebook to class, but then it's an internet distraction which may = less attention paid on class.

I survived 4 years w/o a notebook, what's another year going to do to me?\

You are getting a more powerful system in the long run for a few hundred more.

4. LionsKiss thread starter macrumors member

I have untill the 26th to decide what to get. I was thinking maybe of a mac mini instead? I have a 19" TFT. (I am studying at Uni)

I would use
    Songwrter http://www.codamusic.com/songwriter/
    Firefox
    Word

Would I be able to play HL2 or AOE3 on low detail?

By the way, is it possible to have products you buy at an Apple store delivered to your house?