From OS 9.1 to Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Deepdale, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Will Apple's Migration Assistant using Firewire work to transfer 9GB from my current iMac G3 to a MacBook? If not, do I just follow the same procedure - albeit it more slowly - by using the USB connection? I am primarily interested in the successful transfer of all mp3 files and related playlists from iTunes version 2.0.4. Thanks.

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

haha, it should work. But it it doesn't you can do it manually.

3. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Glad I was able to provide a Sunday morning laugh.

4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I *think* the old Mac has to be running OS X. I'm not entirely sure on that. Anyway, it's not going to be able to copy most of the settings over, which is the main thing that's nice about the migration assistant. Assuming you have firewire on your iMac, you can connect it in Firewire Target Disk Mode (just like you do for the migration assistant) and copy the files you need manually.

iTunes 6 can most likely directly use your iTunes 2 library, so you can just drag your whole iTunes library over at once. I've not tried to read that old of a library with iTunes 6, but it seems like it should work anyway.

5. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I do appreciate the various points you mentioned. I am not surprised that having OS X on my iMac may be a prerequisite for Migration Assistant to work in its regular manner. I'll stop in and try to receive more clarification, although the quality of answers varies wildly amongst Apple employees. I still cringe when I think of the time one of them adamantly told me that once the icon for the hard disc is changed, it can never be modified again. Yikes!