From the desk of Robert X. Cringley...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Roger1, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

The interface between science and public policy is awkward at best. Scientists and academics need money for research, while politicians need research to build better weapons and sometimes to justify intended policy changes. But what happens if you look for scientific support for some new policy and the results of the research show that what you are intending to do is wrong? You can change your plan or ignore the research. This latter decision, one example of which is the topic of this column, brings with it some peril because if it later becomes known that the research was commissioned, completed, and ignored, then someone's job is on the line. So if you are going to bury research findings, it is a good idea to bury them deep.

complete story:http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20040812.html

It's sad to think our Government had a potentially useful tool to use against the war a crime, and chose to ignore it like this.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Interesting read. It is pretty obvious that, as a nation, we are far more concerned with punishment than we are with prevention. If you took a tenth of the money we spent on the prison system and put it into better education and afterschool programs, you'd see a giant drop in prison populations in a generation.

3. Roger1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Roger1

And if we legalized some things that shouldn't be illegal, that would also cut down on the number of people in prison.

BTW: I meant to put this in community discussion, not the political thread. I seem to do this every other time I start a thread.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You'd better hope Neserk doesn't get to hear about this! :eek:

5. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

very interesting. I would imagine the result of the study must still be in possession of the two surviving authors

6. Roger1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Roger1

Why?

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

She has expressed very uncompromising views here on the subject of legalizing marihuana. :rolleyes:

8. Roger1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Roger1

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

10. Roger1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Roger1

I bet that made for an interesting discussion. Back on subject, I think it would be an interesting read to see what these two have to say about crime deterrence. Hopefully someday this stuff will "come to light".