from video 8 to DVD

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Choppaface, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Choppaface macrumors 65816

my mom is trying to get some old video 8 home movies to DVD. we don't have the hardware to do it. a new iMac *might* be a solution on the DVD burning half, but an external burner would just as helpful if it works $$ wise into the budget (which is not yet known). whats the cheapest way to do this?

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: from video 8 to DVD

cheapest? hmm...

1. Well, you need a DVD burner and authoring software.

iDVD with any G4 and an internal DVD-R
    DVDStudioPro ($999) plus an external DVD-R

2. You need an RCA Video -> Digital Video converter

Sony or Dazzle converters ($300-$400)
    Most Digital Video cameras ($500+)

For a one time conversion, you might do better borrowing the converter hardware... as for the computer... an iMac G4 DVD-R would be the cheapest Apple solution... unless you have a G4 sitting around that you can add a DVD-R into ($450).

Alternatively, there are PC solutions, where you could prob get generic software for $50-$100, and an external DVD-R... but you still need a capable comptuer as well as the converter hardware.

arn

3. Choppaface thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks arn, dazzle sounds nice, but could I throw a DVD-R into my G4 that already has a DVD-RAM drive? also why is DVD studio pro necessary for an external burner? can't iDVD do it (with or without a patch)?

also she's got a huge catalog of her books and CDs in a claris 5 database. can this be moved over to appleworks or any other db?

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Currently, iDVD cannot see external burners and DVD Studio Pro can only see a few. Canopus also has an analog to DV converter. I believe it is the same price as the Dazzle, but it has gotten stronger reviews. I'm not saying the Dazzle is bad, but if they are the same price I'd go Canopus. If there is like a $50 difference I'd got Dazzle.

Lethal

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

all clarisworks files can be read by appleworks...

irmongoose

6. Choppaface thread starter macrumors 65816