Front End

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jer446, Apr 1, 2007.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    Hello- Not a mac question but figured i would post it here anyways... I am on vacation at my grandmothers house.. someone who has never used a computer, and probably not capable of turning it on. I found in the closet my cousins old computer that she left along with her monitor.

it would be really cool if i could provide some sort of front end software with some large icons or something to provide the basic necessities of computing.. it would link her straight to an email account, and it would be capable of MAYBE going to a website, which she probably does not even need.. All she would need to do is turn it on, the software would automatically load.. and thats it... is there anything like that?
  2. simontarr macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    Good question- I'm not sure.
    The only thing I could think of doing, which is far less hassle) is to delete all the desktop icons that she wouldn't ever use and just have the ones on there that you have labelled yourself.

For example, just increase the icon and text size and call it 'Email' and other 'Internet'. Actually, can you increase the icon size easily in Windows without lowering the resolution? I only switched to a Mac 6 months ago but I've forgotten already!

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Isn't this called AOL? :eek: ;)

In all seriousness, you could probably write a simple kiosk application that did this.