Front Row 1.3

Discussion in 'macOS' started by apunkrockmonk, Sep 12, 2006.

1. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

It is available in software update now... when it finished I'll be excited to see if they added anything new in.

Attached Files:

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

3. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I've just downloaded it.

Don't get too excited. It's just to correspond with the updated iTunes.

I don't think we'll see significant updates of FrontRow until Frontrow 2 with the iTV.

4. nitynate macrumors 6502a

5. apunkrockmonk thread starter macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I see that now. Oh well.

My friend's front row ceased to work on his MB, maybe this will revitalize it.

6. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Oooh ooh ooh...major change people.

Instead of just "Trailer" it now says "Theatrical Trailer", and it also displays guardian ratings (which are meaningless anywhere outside of the US...).

7. riko macrumors regular

is any one else having problems since upgrading to 1.3? My front row seems to be unresponsive on occasion now taking 5-10 secs to react to a key press or remote command. Also the click sound that used to accompany scrolling up and down lists is missing unless I scroll really fast then I hear it every so often.

So far not a very good update for me.

:(

8. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

No problem here. It scrolls like butter.

9. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Yep, I keep on getting hang ups now.

I rarely ever use Front Row anyway. A pretty shoddy piece of software really. Embarrassing for Apple when you compare it to its competitors (who, to be fair, do usually charge whereas Apples is free).

10. lOUDsCREAMEr macrumors regular

lOUDsCREAMEr

EXCLUSIVE screenies ;)

Attached Files:

11. Mac the knife macrumors member

If I go into "Theatrical Trailer" I do not get the movie images. It just shows the holders with the quicktime logo with a question mark under it. Any ideas?

12. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

It also does Playlists inside folders, which 1.2 didn't (very annoying for me). It just lumped all the songs from all the playlists in one single playlist for that folder.

It's also a lot more responsive for moi...

13. Viktor Laszl0 macrumors newbie

No Coverflow view for browsing albums, then? When I saw the new version I was sure they would've included at least that :(

I use my Mac Mini with my HDTV as an HTPC - is there any way to use the cover view to browse with a remote?

14. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Coverflow seems like such an obvious addition to frontrow too - it would be such a good way to browse, full screen with the apple remote.

15. Viktor Laszl0 macrumors newbie

Has anyone compared the performance between the original freeware Coverflow and the Apple implementation?

My Mini Core Duo was slightly sluggish at 1080p with the original, but I have yet to try iTunes - but I will when I get home.

16. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Well, I haven't felt compelled to update to FR 1.3, as I haven't found anything that the current version can't do, and it's always a headache to re-enable it, as I'm not on an officially supported computer.

Anyway, here are a couple of screen shots of my own. I am a consummate tinkerer, as you can see. I didn't like what the menus said, and I wanted my own icons. So there they are!

Attached Files:

17. MisterEd macrumors 6502

18. Virtualball macrumors 6502

Did you use my old tutorial for modifying Front Row?

19. Tehy macrumors regular

20. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Nope. Just went in and saw what was there. I even tried to get rid of a couple of the menu items by commenting them out in the .strings file, but that just made it default to the generic name for the field rather than the nicer name.

But I've been tinkering with apps almost since OS X came out and I discovered how readily small changes could be made just by looking at the resources inside the bundles. Sure beats the old ResEdit days!