Front Row and data DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Character Zero, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Character Zero macrumors member

Apr 27, 2005
    I have a DVD that I have put some .avi files on (Xvid). The files play fine in quicktime. But i want to be able to play them in front row off the DVD not have to copy them to the hard drive. Can the DVD player in front row do this? Or can i somehow make an alias to the DVD drive to put in my "Movies" folder?
  2. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

Mar 19, 2005
    Perth, Oztrailya
    I think DVD Player will only play DVDs in "DVD Video" format - that is, the sort that is recognised by most stand-alone DVD players with VIDEO_TS folders and the like. I think you've baically just made a data DVD disc, with .avi files on it. DVD Player will not recognise this as a DVD with videos (but I can't be sure - can anyone confirm?). Try re-authoring the DVD into DVD Video format.
  3. Character Zero thread starter macrumors member

Apr 27, 2005
    Yes I made a data DVD. I wanted to do that so i could fit the 4 gigs of avi onto 1 dvd instead of authoring it and it taking 4 DVDs. I could just copy over the files to the hard drive when I want to play them through Front Row, but it would be so much easier for me if i could play them through Front Row off the (data)DVD.
  4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    Yes you can do this but it is a bit complicated. Here are the steps on how to do it:

1. Go to a new finder window and press Cmd (Apple key) + Shift + G. A new window will open, enter "/Volumes/" (without the quotes)
    2. Then go into column view in finder (Apple Key + 3). This will allow you to see a hidden Volumes folder as in my screenshot.
    3. Make an alias to the Volumes folder by right clicking on it and clicking on make alias.
    4. Put this alias into your movies folder. When you launch front row next this will allow you to navigate to and CDs, DVDs, and attached drives you have (FW or USB). It will only allow you to play supported quicktime files as is normal with front row.

Attached Files:

5. Character Zero thread starter macrumors member

Apr 27, 2005
    Wow, awsome!
    I will try this when i get home.