Front Row and VIDEO_TS files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mcarnes, Oct 26, 2005.

1. mcarnes macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2004
    USA! USA!
    Anyone know if Front Row will launch VIDEO_TS files, or will it only work with physical DVDs?

Before flaming: The VIDEO_TS files would be transfered to the hard drive with MTR using DVDs I have purchased. :p
  2. Montserrat macrumors regular

Jun 10, 2004
    Hmm, good question. I don't have an iMac or a cracked copy of Front Row, but my feeling would be not.

If you watch the quicktime movie of Apple's Front Row demo, you'll see that when the DVD option is selected, the screen goes straight to DVD screen (via a screen giving an option of where to start playing the disc). When watching a VIDEO_TS file via DVD player, you have to select it from the File menu. I think because of the simplified interface, ability to play VIDEO_TS files will not be possible. However, I'm sure someone will hack it soon enough :D
  3. bursty macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2004
    Maybe if it were stored in your Movies folder, but I highly doubt it will play them as a DVD.
  4. shidoshi macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2004
    Won't work. If you have Apple's MPEG2 component, you can open the VOB files directly, but as usual, no sound. (And no de-interlacing, which can make things messy.)

So far, I've found no support for opening up DVDs (that I own, before anybody bitches) that I've copied to my drive. I'd love to see the option, because it would make Front More much more useful, but I really don't expect to see the option coming from Apple. That's the problem with Apple making this - they aren't going to toss in everything, being a big company, that just a bunch of guys making the program would.
  5. m-dogg macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2004
    Just thought I'd dig this thread out now that I've had an opportunity to play with Front Row briefly on my new iMac...

Has anyone figured out any workarounds/hacks to play video_ts folders through Front Row? I have a couple on my computer that show up in "Movies" when I use Front Row but I can't get them to play properly. I don't know why they'd let them show up at all if they couldn't be played.
  6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    This is the one feature that would make Front Row awesome. It's a great feature now, but it could be so much more. I have lots of DVD's and would love to just store them on FWHD's and load them in front row. If Front Row let you access the Video_TS files I'd almost buy another iMac (or Mac Mini if they include it in January:) just to put it next to my HDTV and store all my DVD's.
    Someone please create a hack/add-on to allow DVD Player to access the Video_TS files from within Front Row.
  7. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    It really should have this feature. One reason of having a computer double as a media player, in my opinion, is to make things simpler and all in one.

If I put my iMac in my living room where my TV is and decided to use it as a media center, I would want to store my DVDs on it, not have to stick them in there every time...that kinda defeats the purpose.
  8. Uma888 macrumors 6502

Jan 10, 2005
    Birmingham, United Kingdom
    I just tryed it, Dont work for me :S

I think apple frontrow team should sit in the same room as the VLC team and "talk".

I think Apple are just Holding back (Legal implecations maybe?) i think this might be a feature in frontrow 2.5~ish
  9. m-dogg macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2004
    I wish they didn't tease you though! If you're not going to support it, then don't support it!

By letting those VIDEO_TS folders/files appear when you search Movies in Front Row, they should let them work! The way it is right now, it is just taunting me!

Not to get off topic, but the other thing that bothers me about Front Row (after playing around with it for only 2 hours) is that only 'checked songs' from iTunes show up in Front Row. 25% of my music library is unchecked becasue I use my iPod with auto-sync on checked songs only. So if I check everything in iTunes to accomodate Front Row, then I'd have to use a more manual process to manage my iPod...
  10. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    no it will not work , but i'm hoping that the new version will have this feature
  11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Try putting the folders in a disk image. I keep any ripped DVDs in a compressed disk image for space and ease of use reasons.
  12. XraggedX macrumors member

Jan 13, 2006
    South Orange County
    Somebody PLEASE figure this out....... Its such a drawback to a great program.