Front Row, Dashboard, Advanced Scripting Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by G99, Apr 30, 2006.

1. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

The problem: I have widgets on my desktop, as in not on the dashboard layer, but on the desktop by activating devmode. The problem is, every time I enter front row, these widgets show up, on top of my frigging movies. I've managed to create scripts that quit and restart dashboard, but find it kind of annoying to activate them every time I enter/leave front row.

I'm hoping someone here knows how to use an "if" function, to automatically activate my quit dashboard script when I enter front row, and my restart dashboard script when I leave front row. I understand this may be impossible, but thought I'd ask you guys before giving up

2. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Forgive me, but what do you expect using an unsupported feature like this? Dashboard widgets aren't supposed to go on the desktop, so its hardly surprising they're acting oddly when you force them too.

My advice, disable devmode and go back to using Dashboard as it was intended.

Sorry if this sounds overly harsh! :)

3. G99 thread starter macrumors 6502

G99

They're not acting oddly, they just go on top of everything.
    Maybe I should disable devmode, but it's really useful to find out my local weather by just glancing down at the bottom left of my screen:(

4. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Dude, I just gave you the best advice you're going to get on here.

5. dr_lha macrumors 68000

How about this for more help: If you really want Dashbaord widgets on your desktop, why not try using Amnesty:

http://www.mesadynamics.com/amnesty.htm

It probably won't have the interaction problem with Front Row I'm guessing.

6. G99 thread starter macrumors 6502

G99

Sorry, we posted at the same time. I couldn't read your post before posting.

7. G99 thread starter macrumors 6502

G99

This is an amazing app, but it isn't free, is it?

8. dr_lha macrumors 68000

You could try Konfabulator instead, if you really want weather on your Desktop, which is free unlike Amnesty. Also you could try Meteorologist, an app that puts the weather forecast in your menu bar.

I think the path you want to go down having Dashboard quit when you activate Front Row is just not going to work unfortunately.

EDIT: I should say, "Yahoo! Widget Engine" not Konfabulator! :)

9. dr_lha macrumors 68000

S'OK. I figured this out afterwards. :D

10. G99 thread starter macrumors 6502

G99

I have tried these other alternatives, but prefer dashboard on the whole. I thought I wouldn't be able to do this. Also, quitting and opening dashboard uses up so much CPU, so it might not be a good idea. Anyway, thanks for your help.