Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Hello!

i've been shuffling around my computer and somehow in the process front row has disappeared.

how do i reinstall it?

r.

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
Disappeared? As in, not in your Applications folder anymore? Did you do a Spotlight search for it yet? If you did indeed uninstall it you may have to reinstall the OS, unless that app is installed from a seperate "Apps" disc, or try a package installer like Pacifist.

By all means, supply more info before doing anything that makes you nervous. ;) I don't have a Mac using Frontrow, so maybe I shouldn't have attempted an answer. It just struck a cord since someone in this forum had just commented on Pacifist. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/189299/

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
cyberddot said:
I don't have a Mac using Frontrow, so maybe I shouldn't have attempted an answer.

Probably not!;)

Front Row does not live in the Applications folder like a normal app. It can't be started like a normal app either. It gets launched by BezelServices (and needs a version of BezelSevices with additional API hooks for it). The app itself lives in /System/Library/CoreServices.

Assuming that you haven't messed up BezelServices you might be able to use Pacifist to re-install it. My /Library/Receipts folder indicates that there was a FrontRow.pkg installed, probably as part of the OS install.

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
if u tried to access front row from your remote, it could be "not directed" to it. to make sure that youre remote is solely used for the mac, hold the fast forward and play button for about 5 seconds. then click menu.

another easy check is (hold) apple (click) escape

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.