front row disappeared

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by whyrichard, Mar 26, 2006.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello!

i've been shuffling around my computer and somehow in the process front row has disappeared.

how do i reinstall it?

r.

2. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

Disappeared? As in, not in your Applications folder anymore? Did you do a Spotlight search for it yet? If you did indeed uninstall it you may have to reinstall the OS, unless that app is installed from a seperate "Apps" disc, or try a package installer like Pacifist.

By all means, supply more info before doing anything that makes you nervous. ;) I don't have a Mac using Frontrow, so maybe I shouldn't have attempted an answer. It just struck a cord since someone in this forum had just commented on Pacifist. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=189299

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Probably not!;)

Front Row does not live in the Applications folder like a normal app. It can't be started like a normal app either. It gets launched by BezelServices (and needs a version of BezelSevices with additional API hooks for it). The app itself lives in /System/Library/CoreServices.

Assuming that you haven't messed up BezelServices you might be able to use Pacifist to re-install it. My /Library/Receipts folder indicates that there was a FrontRow.pkg installed, probably as part of the OS install.

4. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

I see! :eek: :D

I was having a mid-night bout with insomnia and that pacifist post was so fresh...Thanks for the post robbie!

5. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

if u tried to access front row from your remote, it could be "not directed" to it. to make sure that youre remote is solely used for the mac, hold the fast forward and play button for about 5 seconds. then click menu.

another easy check is (hold) apple (click) escape

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

try downloading the update from the apple website.