Front Row for all Macs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Benjamindaines, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I just had an idea, would frontrow be included in Leopard? If it was then that would give it every Mac (not just the Intel ones and the iSight iMac). Do you think that would happen?

2. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

it'd be great if it was part of leopard, however not all macs could use the remote, so they'd have to release some sort of USB/FW device to act as a IR receiver

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't think it will happen. It probably will be included on all new machines, but not retail versions of new OSs. It really is a waste of a program is you don't have a remote. But who knows for sure. I still can't believe Apple released a multi-button mouse.

4. dr_lha macrumors 68000

The question is, if Leopard doesn't include Front Row, how would one install Front Row on a Mac that came with it if you did a clean install?

Pacifist is not a good answer to this BTW.

As far as I can see Front Row is embedded into the OS install, so I fully expect it to be on the Leopard DVD. However it may not get installed by default if you don't have an IR remote capable machine.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I think it would make sense to include it in Leopard, otherwise everyone who purchases a new Mac would have to manually download and install it. However, I don't think it would be made to work for PPC users. Number one, PPC users would need the remote and IR interface to use it, and number two, Apple would probably just not install Front Row if it detected that Leopard was being installed on a PPC Mac.

So I could see it happening, but it won't work for PPC Macs.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You could install Tiger and then upgrade to Leopard.

I would not be surprised if FR came with 10.5, but only installed on machines that originally came with it. It would probably be very easy for the installer to check the firmware to see which version of which type computer you are installing it on.

EDIT: You just beat me to it. :p

7. aznspyder macrumors member

Now I know what the next "big thing" from Apple is going to be... a remote dedicated for use in Front Row for Macs without an IR remote!

And one more thing, this remote will cost only $100 :p

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

And there will be a designer protective carrying case made for this new remote as well, retailing at only $99... ;) :D

9. dr_lha macrumors 68000

There are PPC Macs with Front Row however. The original iSight iMac G5.

10. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Thats a pretty inelegant solution.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That was just one solution. If you read my entire post, you'd see that I included a more efficient and logical one.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, but that's the only one, and again, it hasd everything necessary enabled in the firmware and also has the reuired IR receiver. All other PPC Macs don't, and won't.

13. dr_lha macrumors 68000

I know, I didn't respond to the others because they seemed sensible. ;)

14. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

i wish that this wasn't a possibility!

15. imacintel macrumors 68000

You can download front Row form apple and use the key board.

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

No you can't. Not legally anyway.

17. imacintel macrumors 68000

Oh,turns out its an update...sorry

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Why, oh, why, can't it be bluetooth? What's with all this archaic RF dongles and line of sight IR? :(

19. tonyl macrumors 6502

Why not? you can use it partially without remote. At least it'll let someone try first.

20. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

it's already available for everymac except for g3 macs where the writing turns upside down;), i've got it

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Sorry, we're talking about being legally available, not through hacks and the like. :p ;) :cool:

22. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

I personally think Front row is a big gimmick. I don't actually ever use it on my MBP. Yes it looks nice, however, until the software is more featured it is nothing more than a decent GUI overlay for accessing media content.

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, I couldn't see myself using the current version overly much either. Give me some DVR tie-in capabilities so I can easily record my own shows, watch them, etc. and then I'll reconsider. Right now though, it's just as easy for me to fire up iTunes or VLC to play my media. I think if I had Front Row on my Mac I would hardy ever use it...

24. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

aint that the truth

thats a really good question. Bluetooth is such a better technology then IR anyways and most macs have them, if not, its a $30 adaptor to give it bluetooth that you can gain so much more functionality then you could from an IR device