Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
illegalprelude said:
thats a really good question. Bluetooth is such a better technology then IR anyways and most macs have them, if not, its a $30 adaptor to give it bluetooth that you can gain so much more functionality then you could from an IR device

Yeah... :( If I'm not mistaken, at this point, 100% of the Macs that legally support Front Row have BT! ;) And 100% of the future ones will, almost certainly, too, since it's now standard on every Mac Mini, iBook (and presumably on all future MacBooks), iMac, and MBP, i.e. every Mac except the PM. So it's certainly now an available option. I'd guess the remote control Apple uses would be significantly less expensive than a BT solution, but then you can offset that with the reduced cost from not needing an IR sensor in the computer....

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
I think media will be far more integrated into the OS than it is now. Apple have to grasp things such as podcastig and content on demand, and media. I think this will be the major new thing with Leopard.

Mad if they don't Vista will be very media orientated. Apple also need a competitor to VIIV.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
mkrishnan said:
Yeah... :( If I'm not mistaken, at this point, 100% of the Macs that legally support Front Row have BT! ;) And 100% of the future ones will, almost certainly, too, since it's now standard on every Mac Mini, iBook (and presumably on all future MacBooks), iMac, and MBP, i.e. every Mac except the PM. So it's certainly now an available option. I'd guess the remote control Apple uses would be significantly less expensive than a BT solution, but then you can offset that with the reduced cost from not needing an IR sensor in the computer....

all I have to say is, at Cost at Best Buy where I work, we get the BlueTooth USB adaptor for $18. Now thats 10% above their cost and im sure theres still profit in for them. I mean how much does it really cost Apple to slap on a built in Bluetooth. If anything, most build in devices are cheaper then external. and again, bluetooth can be used for syncs, printer, and etc. too

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I wonder if the BT vs IR remote debate has anything to do with batteries. I have a Logitech BT presentation remote and if I forget to turn it off, the batteries are dead in a day or two. The batteries in my TV remotes last months or longer.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
illegalprelude said:
all I have to say is, at Cost at Best Buy where I work, we get the BlueTooth USB adaptor for $18. Now thats 10% above their cost and im sure theres still profit in for them. I mean how much does it really cost Apple to slap on a built in Bluetooth. If anything, most build in devices are cheaper then external. and again, bluetooth can be used for syncs, printer, and etc. too

You've clearly never done a business case in a manufacturing environment, my friend. :( I would guess that the differential cost is probably less than $1, and almost certainly less than $2. But that's not a trivial sum in the scale of the number of Macs being made and sold... if there's no differential profitability, then it's hard to justify on a monetary basis.

As far as the battery thing, that's certainly a possibility... what kind of batteries does the FrontRow remote use? The mice seem to last a fairly long time, but yeah, I guess, nowhere near as long as my TV remote controls....

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
mkrishnan said:
As far as the battery thing, that's certainly a possibility... what kind of batteries does the FrontRow remote use? The mice seem to last a fairly long time, but yeah, I guess, nowhere near as long as my TV remote controls....
My remote uses two AA. My knowledge of BT is limited, but I think it spends a lot of power looking for connections. The connection light constantly blinks(it stays on when it has a connection). The FR remote uses a large watch type battery. My G5 iMac FR remote at work is number CR2032.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
grapes911 said:
No you can't. Not legally anyway.
I have Front Row on my PowerBook G4, downloaded it straight from Apple.com. So, did I break the law? Keeping it either way because it's cool as hell...

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
someguy said:
I have Front Row on my PowerBook G4, downloaded it straight from Apple.com. So, did I break the law? Keeping it either way because it's cool as hell...
Yes. You probably downloaded an upgrade to FR and then used some other software to trick the installer into thinking you have a computer that came with FR. A full, legal version for all Macs is not available.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
someguy said:
YES

I guess you haven't read the license agreement which clearly states that you can't use it on a on any other machine than the once with build in iSight.

Plus, you have probably used a third-party program that will allow you to install FrontRow.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
grapes911 said:
Yes. You probably downloaded an upgrade to FR and then used some other software to trick the installer into thinking you have a computer that came with FR. A full, legal version for all Macs is not available.
Interesting. But how can a third part app "trick" the installer in a way that results in this "update" providing me with all of the features of the full legit Front Row app? What I mean is, if what I downloaded was just an update, how come everything in Front Row works? :confused:

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
someguy said:
Interesting. But how can a third part app "trick" the installer in a way that results in this "update" providing me with all of the features of the full legit Front Row app? What I mean is, if what I downloaded was just an update, how come everything in Front Row works? :confused:

That was an updated version of FrontRow, which replaces the previous one.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
someguy said:
The installer looks to see if you have a mac with that came with FR. The hack tricks the installer into thinking you do. It just so happens that everything that had to do with FR was updated so the update installer has everything needed to install FR.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
grapes911 said:
I wonder if the BT vs IR remote debate has anything to do with batteries. I have a Logitech BT presentation remote and if I forget to turn it off, the batteries are dead in a day or two. The batteries in my TV remotes last months or longer.
Absolutely it does. The included remote is IR because the battery will last for months. The remote is far too basic to need lots of power in its own right, and making a six button clicker a BT device would make it unfairly expensive on top of a serious power drain. Front Row is meant to be used as a presentation layer for media, properly assuming that you're placed in front of the machine (the remote isn't for the other side of the wall or anything, so there's no benefit to having Bluetooth from the original perspective).

Of course, including support for Bluetooth would be nice, because it would be useful to control music from a cell phone around corners, etc. But Bluetooth's range is only reliable to 30 feet, and sometimes less--a wifi control plugin would be perfect for me. Control Front Row from a PDA! Now we're talking.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
matticus008 said:
Of course, including support for Bluetooth would be nice, because it would be useful to control music from a cell phone around corners, etc. But Bluetooth's range is only reliable to 30 feet, and sometimes less--a wifi control plugin would be perfect for me. Control Front Row from a PDA! Now we're talking.
I thought you could control Front Row via a BT phone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.