Front Row Hack Disabled

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mowogg, Jan 14, 2006.

1. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

It seems that one of the recent update (I guess it was 10.4.4) disabled the Front Row hack allowing me to run Front Row on my G5. Too bad, it was a cool program and I liked showing it off to PC using friends and family.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't want to discuss illegal actives here, but i know for a fact that it still does work under 10.4.4. ;)

3. mowogg thread starter macrumors 6502

mowogg

Well then perhaps it was iLife- Oops! You didn't want to discuss illegal activities. Sorry. I guess you don't want to know about the meth lab then do you? Just kidding.:)

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep, I have heard this as well. Remember, there is always a way... :cool:

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

With 10.4.4, pressing Apple+ESC doesn't open up a certain program anymore. If I start this program up manually, then Apple+ESC works as it should and all is good.

6. mowogg thread starter macrumors 6502

mowogg

Any idea where that certain application might reside on the Mac?

7. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Unfortunately there IS always a way. I have heard reports that Apple disabled Illegal S/Ns in the update of Aperture but never the less people have figured out a way to make it still work.... :(

8. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Some people talk about this Front Row Enabler somthing, however I dont know anything about it. Ive looked everywhere for it but its not on macupdate.com :rolleyes:

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I think you just crossed the line.

That's isn't really your decision, now is it?

10. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    didn't mean to cross the line....consider it edited.

my bad

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The thing is that we all know it is possible and can be done. But since anyone can see what is written on the web (including Apple), the best thing to do it no blatantly say how it can be done or that you have done it. That way it keeps you and MR not responsible for anyone who does it because of what they read here. Let the blame fall on the other many sites out there that tell how to do it.

Now, did you really cross the line? I don't know, who am I to say? I'm just putting the warning out there so people can stay on the safe side.

12. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    believe me, I hear ya

forget I said anything..

13. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

But you've got to admit that it is fun dancing on the edge of the illegal abyss.

14. funkdaddy macrumors newbie

15. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

Apple must not give a dam about Front Row anymore as that site has been up since the start of all this Front Row on any Mac thing

Front Row misses one big thing for me at the moment - playing back DVD's that are ripped on my machine - that way i could have a full Media Center

mind you this software does just that and is freeware for all you Front Row wannabees lol:D http://www.dontpostthiseither.com

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's illegal because it was only intended for the machines on which it's already loaded.

17. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i would definitely buy it if it came out for all macs.....but now that ther is an IR remote and not a bluetooth one, apple has managed to make fromt row possible if a new mac is purchased. i would expect all intel conversions will have fromt row and an IR port. why oh why IR? its an ancient technology for a computer.

i will not resort to piracy to get apps that i want. EVER. no match for the real thing.

S

18. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

What was the problem with that one? :confused:

MediaCentral is a freeware media center program - it doesn't do anything illegal! Heck, MediaCentral is a great LEGAL FrontRow alternative! What's the problem with a link to that?!

:confused:

19. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Moderation here is pretty good so I'm apt to cut a bit of slack but...yea, what's up? Methinks the mods are a bit edit-happy when even a wiff of these types of discussions rear their head, legal or not.

MediaCentral by equinux is legal, it is free, and it is legitimate. I guess you'll have go Google for more info... :confused:

20. Boelman macrumors regular

That would be cool if you could get front row on every mac. They were thinking about making it I think for all machines.

21. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

You can, but the legality is debatable. I won't say more than that, at the risk of getting myself in trouble. :eek:

22. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I tried Media Central, even though my iMac has FrontRow, and it works nice (the scrolling is a bit too slow). It definitely has potential but its a shame it doesn't work with the remote.

23. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

oh no, media central did not like my ibook in the least. Scrolling was slow and choppy, i could only move through one menu before everything froze on me. I could not for the life of me remember the keystrokes to force quit as i had the dreaded beachball and could not get rid of the media central screen. Only by trying random combinations could i get the force quit pane to show up. Maybe we'll try again tomorrow.

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, I made a mistake. I'll attempt to find it and restore it. I was concerned about having another illegal link. "Safety first."

25. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I suspected something like this. Now that we're cleared that up, here's the link for those of you who'd like to check out MediaCentral : http://www.equinux.com/us/products/mediacentral/index.html :)

Cool program, I highly recommend it!