Front Row in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adamb100, Aug 10, 2006.

1. adamb100 macrumors regular

Since Frontrow will be included in Lepord, does that mean that macs that didnt originally ship with frontrow can now get it?

2. dbhays macrumors regular

dbhays

Yeah, if you buy leopard. Seriously, I don't understand why it is not a free download though (well it is if you know what I mean).

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It was said that with Leopard, Front Row and Photo Booth would be made available for all machines. Apple didn't say that they would be doing the same for Tiger users, though.

4. LoveMacMini macrumors regular

front row is useless to me since all my video is either WMV, Divx or Xvid files.

EDIT: OMG I JUST REALIZED CORE ANIMATION, I hope they make a front end for VLC now!

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I truly hope that the Front Row that ships with Leopard is actually worthwhile. So many people who have marginally older Macs are concerned that they don't have FR, but, honestly, I don't see what the fuss is all about. FR, as it stands, basically sucks as far as usability is concerned although there's some pleasant eye candy.

And no, despite my sig, this isn't sarcasm. I have FR on 3 Macs now (iMac, mini duo connected to HDTV, MBP) and never use it.

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Huh? Front Row will support any video that Quicktime does. You just need Flip4Mac for WMV and DiVX/XViD codecs and you're set... maybe an AC3 codec too, but its fairly painless. And a front end for VLC? What do you think you're using with VLC now?

7. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Do third party remotes work well with FR? I would assume they do because you can just map the buttons to the key commands that control Front Row. Anyway, I'm glad to hear it's going to be available to all Leopard users even though I already have it on the one computer where it's useful to me (iMac).

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Keyspan make a remote that works with Front Row - it uses a sensor plugged into USB, I think it works on RF frequencies.

There is a Front Row plugin for Salling Clicker too so Bluetooth phones can also be used.

9. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

install the Flip4Mac, DIVX codec and the Xvid component and all those formats will work on Frontrow.

10. Sequence macrumors member

You can play all of these format in Front Row if you have the proper codec installled.

11. mr freeo macrumors newbie

is this FAIR DINKIN?

will Front row thats bundled in Leopard definately work on a power PC..I hope so!:confused:

12. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

There's no reason why it shouldn't. Front Row is already Universal. It first shipped on the iMac G5.

13. mr freeo macrumors newbie

Thanks md, yes this is true but there is the issue with the remote control for the likes of myself with a G4 Quicksilver 933 MHz Power PC, there would have to be an infa-red USB adapter for example, can't really imagine apple bothering too much???????????

14. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Or they could just make a USB received for their existing remote and either bundle the remote/receiver with Leopard (doubtful) or sell it separately.

15. projectle macrumors 6502

The new iPod docks come with the IR receiver and a remote. Additionally, if your computer has bluetooth, then you have MANY options avaliable to you.

16. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

In the WWDC keynote, one of the Leopard "features" was that front row, photobooth, and the release version of boot camp will be bundled (included) with the OS. So they will be available to Tiger users who upgrade their machines to Leopard, assuming their hardware can handle it.

I don't know if front row has any major hardware/cpu requirements besides quartz extreme capability, but it's likely to be updated for Leopard (top secret!) so who knows what it will need by the time Leopard ships. Photobooth obviously requires a cam and it already appears to be heavily dependent on accelerated core image/video effects for it's whizbang effects, so Tiger users whose machines do not have a core image/video capable graphics card will probably be out of luck for that one.

17. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Yes, this is certainly a possibility. Like Chundles said though, there are already third-party remotes that work with Front Row. Front Row can also be controlled via the keyboard, so any remote that can mimic programmable keystrokes should work fine.

The iPod dock does have IR, but it's not setup so that the computer can access the IR capability. The IR port is used for controlling a docked iPod using an Apple remote.

18. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

If Apple releases a USB IR reciever, I don't care if it costs 100 bucks, I'm definitaly getting me one of em'.

I've used FrontRow on my mother's MacBook (which, by the way I'm on right now, as I wait for my PowerBook to be repaired), and I LOVE it. I've hacked it onto my PowerBook, and I currently use the AirClick remote, but it's just not the same.

19. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Either that or you could just use your keyboard. It becomes pointless then, but I often do that when dual displaying FR onto another monitor or a TV.

cmd+esc = menu for entering front row
    esc = menu
    up, down, left, right = der
    Enter or Return = play/pause
    Volume keys function as they always do on your keyboard

20. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I would like frontrow to utilize spotlight and find videos outside of the movies folder. Like on optical disks and such - since I backup teh animé to DVDs in .avi format.

21. projectle macrumors 6502

Why not create a smart folder for all video files of any type on the entire computer and save it to
    /Users/<your_username>/Movies
    ?

Would that not solve your problem?*
    That is what I did for getting my TV shows into Frontrow from EyeTV back in Version 1 when there was no interoperability between the two.

22. projectle macrumors 6502

Been reading up on the whole thing over at Insanely Mac where there is ongoing discussion from people who "have" "copies" of "Leopard".

Aparently Frontrow has not been updated from the current version in Tiger (1.2.2), as well, it still has the hardware check making it only run on Macs with the IR-Receiver.*

Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come for Leopard...

"Yes, it will be in every installation on every mac under every architecture, however only those whose computers initially shipped with it will be able to run it."

23. 7on macrumors 601

7on

nevermind, I forgot that Jobs can see into the future and put that feature for me into Tiger using Aliases and now I see smart folders work