Front Row on Intel Mac... (Mac Pro)...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by youyou, Sep 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youyou macrumors member

Hi everyone...
    I am seriously second guessing the purchase of a mac pro because it doesn't have Front Row...
    So my question here is: Is there a hack for it around yet???
    I know about the hack for all other power pc Macs. I actually installed it on my iMac g5 and it works flawlessly...
    But I really want to get a Mac Pro and I am holding out because of this...
    It might sound stupid to some but when I go out and buy the most expensive Mac with a 30" Cinema Display you can be sure I want to have every option any Mac in the lineup and then some...
    Now I know the Mac Pro is for Profesionals and it still doesn't justify not including Front Row.
    So is there any way for me to get Front Row working on a Mac Pro?? I don't really care much about the remote right now. I just want to be able to have that beautiful interface on my gorgeous 30" Cinema Display...
    Any help,thoughts,suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I don't know about hacks for that, but Leopard is slated to include Front Row for all.

3. generik macrumors 601

generik

What feature are you specifically missing out from the lack of frontrow? I barely use it at all, so I am just curious. On the other hand I swear by my EyeTV remote :D

4. youyou thread starter macrumors member

Well it absolutely suck... I really hope something come out quick.
    If i'm dishing out 6000$ then I want Front Row...
    I am still holding off with my purchase until next week until after the event on the 25th with hopes that they will come out with new Cinema Displays with built in Isight ... That would solve all my problems.
    If not i might just end up getting a 24" Imac which will run me about half the price if not more. And Apple will lose out on a Big sale just because of a little thing they could have easily fixed. And I am sure thet they have already since alot of people have been complaning about the same issue.

5. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Even if a new display does not have iSight you could buy the stand alone camera
    somewhere.

I'm not sure why Front Row would not install unless the pre flight checker
    prevents it.

I sure as heck wouldn't let that stop me, because in a matter of 6 months, it
    should be available with Leopard.

If not , there should be some solution in iLife '07

6. generik macrumors 601

generik

If it is as FFTT said that frontrow will be included in Leopard perhaps youyou would be better served waiting till then before shelling out his $6000. Besides which MP configuration costs $6000?

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

One could EASILY drop $6000 on a nice system, especially since our OP is looking at a Mac Pro with the 30" ACD.

8. youyou thread starter macrumors member

6000$ Canadian. And with just a few added options and a 30" Cinema Display your easily at 6000$...
    And there's no wat I can wait till Leopard,
    I just sold my Imac g5 and i'm left with my Dell Xps m1210 laptop...
    There's no way i can go on living simply with a dell and windows... :D ;)

9. youyou thread starter macrumors member

Any of you guys think we'll see new displays next week?? At the event on the 25th before photokina... And will Ol' Stevie be giving a keynote adress?

10. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I understand why Apple didn't include front row. The Mac Pros are serious professional machines, not consumer machines with fun gimmicks. If you want to give the impression of a power house you don't go installing cool core animation effects to choose what track you want to play.

11. generik macrumors 601

generik

Still they should at least make it a BTO option.

12. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

At the moment FrontRow is VERY overated. If you are watching a DVD you have to put the disk in first. By doing so DVD player automatically starts and renders FrontRow useless. Also by putting having to put the disk in you are at your mac and so renders the remote useless too.

iPhoto slideshows would be good but how many of us REALLY do that?

The music part is good i.e. being able to listen to your library and not be sat at your desk. But to be honest I personally only listen to music when im working on my mac so its useless to me.

Dont get me wrong im a staunch Apple fan but FrontRow needs alot of work for it to be worthwhile. Hopefully it will be much better in Leopard!

13. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Ah yes, Front Row, a real professional application. Every Mac Pro user will sure need it . . .

I can understand why it isn't included with the Mac Pro.

What I can't understand is how this little application can make you second guess your Mac Pro buy?
    If you need a professional level computer, this is it.

14. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

here's a crazy idea, get the mac pro, get a smaller screen, and take all that extra money you save and buy a dedicated solution to your problem. Get a big DLP tv, get some kind of media extender, hell, buy a mac mini and hook it up to the tv you buy and use front row off of that.

15. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

1) I agree that Front Row is lacking. Honestly, does anyone use it on a regular basis? Music would be about the only thing, but I don't have a set up where I would need to control music from afar - if iTunes is playing, I'm sitting in front of it.

2) To the OP: if you are questioning buying a MP because you can't run Front Row on it, then you should not be buying a MP in the first place. It's for professionals. Obviously your computing needs are not so great that you NEED that kind of power since you are considering swapping out for an iMac instead. Go with the iMac, save your cash, and enjoy your superfast CONSUMER computer and all of its bells and whistles - including Front Row.

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I see no use for front row without the remote. I installed it on my gf's PM G4 just for fun, but we've yet to use it. No remote --> you have to be at your computer --> might as well just control whatever app you're in directly. The remote, otoh, doesn't need front row to be running in order to work, and is great.

17. youyou thread starter macrumors member

Some posters don't understand what i'm trying to say here so let me clarify things...
    I know the Mac Pro is a professional machine. Doesn't matter...
    I think that when you go out and buy a Mac Pro then you should at least have the option of running Front Row if you want.
    Secondly i'm not saying Front Row is revolutionary and I cant live without it!!
    All i'm saying is that it's fun once in a while and looks great on a 30" Cinema Display.
    So the point here is that when i drop 6g's on a machine i want it to be able to do everythig an Imac can do and much more... Which I know it can... Except for Front Row ;)
    And no I don't need a Mac Pro but I need a 30" Cinema Display... There's another Apple debate for ya...

18. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I know you want the MP, but don't you think a fully loaded 24" iMac would be better, (And a lot cheaper!)?

19. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Well, I use Front Row almost every day. It's perfect for watching movies that I have stored on my media drive. As for dvd's, I may stick the disc in but not watch it for days. You can also set the Apple DVD to "do not auto-launch." Auto-launching very annoying...so I've always disabled it. I also use the slideshow function almost every day. Honestlly, though, I use the music function a lot less. When I play music, I normally just have iTunes open and use the remote directly.

Now, even though I use it all the time, the only thing that I hate about Front Row is the slideshow function. Essentially, to view photos, you have to load all the pictures into iPhoto, first. Since I store all my pictures on my media drive, this is a huge waste of space. Essentially, I'm forced to have two sets of every picture. With movies, I can simply make an alias of a folder on the drive and front row picks it up. Not so with pictures.

But I agree with Front Row not being featured on MacPros. A professional machine does not need the consumer targeted features. Though, enabling Front Row should be an option on all Macs.

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Do not post details about software used to violate license agreements or software Terms of Use. Some posts above have been deleted and this thread is now closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.