Front Row on the new iMacs... is it simply software, or does it require new hardware?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SteveC, Oct 12, 2005.

1. SteveC macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2003
    The new Front Row interface on the iMacs looks nice. I wouldn't buy a new iMac to get it, but as an added benefit it's a nice one.

I'm wondering: is it simply software? i.e. is FrontRow an application? If so, can owners of other Macs (such as PMs, eMacs, 1.8GHz and prior iMacs) use it? or does it require new iMac hardware?

Obviously you won't be able to use it with a remote unless you have the new iMac, but I wonder if you can use it with your keyboard or mouse on any Mac.

Anyone know?
  2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    It looks right now like it's software that's available only for iMacs that have the remote.

But I have to believe that someone will hack it quickly. So that probably means that Apple will realize it can make money selling the software along with the remote and a USB or BT-based IR receiver, and will do so relatively soon.
  3. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    I'm guessing there's nothing hardware based about it, except for the remote. My guess is that it will become available as an add-on software that sells with a remote and receiver.
  4. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2005
    I would like to have that Front Row app, I listen and watch a lot of videos in my free time.
    A BlueTooth remote is the only option for as I hate to add any USB or external receivers.
  5. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2003
    If it's a BT remote and the application can be installed on any system, that would make for a nice little package to purchase. :) I can see it priced for $49.