Front row problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MBP123, Feb 11, 2007.

1. MBP123 macrumors regular

ok so i have an external HD with all my stuff on it. and i have itunes with music, tv shows, video podcasts, and movies in there. all proper format and everything as they work fine when playing in itunes, and booting off the external hard drive. however, when i go to play through front row, the movies, and tv shows just wont play. there wont be a preview of it, (whether i bought the movie/tv show or it came from my dvds). i wil click to play it, and it will just give the spinning circle next to the title really quick, and just wont play or do anything. music, photos, dvd all work fine through front row, as do video podcasts. only thing that wont work is movies and tv shows, and ive bought them from the itunes store, and they play within itunes......

any thoughts?

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

This is because I believe Front Row only recognizes items from your internal HD. It doesn't know how to go out to an external HD and grab media. Perhaps the new FrontRow in Leopard will support this.

3. ricksbrain macrumors regular

That's not true-- works for me all the time. If the movies are linked in iTune, it doesn't matter where they are.

Not sure what your problem is, sorry.

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

OK, let me rephrase... FrontRow will probably not recognize items from your external HD that aren't from either iTunes or iPhoto since they can be stored from an external HD and you can point the libraries from those programs to an external HD. This is only reason it works because it just grabs whatever is available from iTunes and iTunes knows to go out to your ext HD if its supposed to. Same thing applies to iPhoto as you can store your iPhoto Library on an external HD as well. When you try to get a movie to play there's nothing to tell FrontRow to go to an external source and play.