Front Row Problems/Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cb31, May 22, 2006.

1. cb31 macrumors member

I've just got my first mac, a 17" iMac Core duo and am having some trouble with Front Row. For a start it keeps not starting when I press the menu button on the remote. I've tried pressing the Force quit key sequence and from the apple icon in the top left but force quit never starts. After a machine restart it is fine. Photo booth has also locked up so maybe it is a more generic problem.

What I really want to know is how to make movies show up in front row. It says to put movies in the users movie folder but all mine are on a network drive hanging off a pc server. How can I make front row look for movies in different locations on my hard drives? I was thinking of unix soft links but am not sure if they exist in osx or would work. I don't want to store 2 copies of every movie as I don't have the disk space.

Any help or hints would be most appreciated. Thanks

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Just a thought, maybe try making your movie folder an alias to the real movie folder? Dunno if this will work, but it's worth a try.

3. Mojo67821 macrumors regular

I too have had the "non starting" problem but no one seems to know what's wrong.

What seems to happen is that after a fresh boot it works fine, every time I press the menu button... but after it goes to sleep and gets woken back up I am no longer able to bring up front row, from either the remote or the keyboard shortcut (apple-escape). If I reboot it works fine again... it's wierd.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Unix soft links = aliases, so yes it should work. You might also be able to use QT "reference movies".

I've only experienced the "no start" with FR on my 17" iMac once, and I let my system sleep all the time. In that case my 2 year old had been pushing the buttons on the remote like a madman and I think that confused FR. Now he doesn't get to use the remote.

B

5. cb31 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. It looks like aliases may work so I'll give that a try tonight if I have time. What I will try and do is put a tv shows alias under the movies section and a movies alias under there also. I hope that front row will allow you to traverse directories beneath movies as I don't want to reorganise my server.

It is a bit worrying that I am not alone with the non-starting and there seems to be no fix. As I'm new to the apple world is it worth raising the issue with apple?

6. Malcster macrumors 6502

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes, do report the issue particularly if it is recurring.

B